Author Topic: Fahey: Bridget, Patrick, Margaret, Julia  (Read 673 times)

Offline jjjjjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fahey: Bridget, Patrick, Margaret, Julia
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
Bridget Fahey is my great-grandmother. U.S. census and her death certificate indicates that she came from Ireland to New York City in 1882. She married John J. Butler (emigrated from Inistioge, Ireland) and gave birth to my grandfather, Edward, in 1885. A baptismal record I have for Edward recites Patrick and Margaret Fahey as witnesses. Julia's New York City death certificate (1888) indicates that she had also emigrated to New York City.

I cannot locate the marriage certificate for Bridget and John Butler. I cannot find any indication of the arrival of any of the Fahey's in New York City, nor any emigration records from Liverpool or Queenstown. Bridget appears in the 1900 U.S. census. Her death certificate from 1903 lists her father as Patrick Fahey and mother as Ann (Grant?). The death certificate states that Bridget was born in Dublin in about 1864. I can find no birth or baptismal records to confirm that information. Nor can I find any reference to her brother Patrick, sisters Margaret or Julia.

I searched Griffith's Valuations for Fahey's, hoping they would be located within some specific area of Ireland. This was not the case.

Just hoping for some help or guidance.

Thx
Inistioge, Ireland: Butler
Droheda area: Coogan
Liverpool: McDonald
?: Fahey

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Fahey: Bridget, Patrick, Margaret, Julia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
The names suggest RC and if that is correct then civil registration only started in 1864 so maybe the date is not correct,  or they 'forgot' to register, as often happened close to start of civil 'newly started'  registration. If they were not RC then civil registration began in 1845.

Many people had no idea when they were born, migrated etc they made the best guess.
Birthdays were not celebrated like now and on a death cert a birth date/year is not only a secondary 'record' but also hearsay, what other people thought/told and told the authority who wrote out the cert, they didn't have to produce a birth cert to prove what they said, so only gives best guess.
My own Great grandmother had a different birth year on all her primary records, on her grave stone she is written 20 years older than she really was and it is only as I got her baptism record from the parish book that I was able to purchase her birth cert in which the year corresponds and she told the church when she married she was 10 years older than she was, maybe because she was marrying an older man of 23years her senior.

There were many ports they could have left from, not only in Ireland but also in Britain and of course they could have go somewhere else first, like Canada or maybe even across the a European port and then made their way to the US, they often took the cheapest option or the free option ( British Government and Charities paid passages) which may have meant traveling from elsewhere

I searched Griffith's Valuations for Fahey's, hoping they would be located within some specific area of Ireland. This was not the case.

No it is a common name and names alone do not really give you very much. Nor of course does the internet as most Irish records are not online, most are still in the parish churches

You know where John Butler lived before he migrated, I would research from that starting point as he may or may not have been born/baptised there, but it certainly something you could look at.

Also by looking at the 1901/1911 Irish census and seeing if you can find first the family name, then possible family naming patterns ( which the Irish are fond of especially then) and you could also look at occupations and the household. I know they were in the US by then but there will be parents, uncles/aunts, siblings and cousins who remained
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Family Search has a baptism for Margaret Fahey with parents Patrick and Anne Grant

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRW1-W86

This would fit with this civil registration https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYPF-H47

If you decided that this was the right family, you could send for the marriage certificate by post- application form here: https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jjjjjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your time and thoughts. Heywood, I appreciate the welcome and you may have given me a start point. Many thanks. As to John Butler, I have considerable information on him and his extended family back to about 1790. I have visited the village of Inistioge twice. It is a charming place alongside the Rive Nore in the Killkenny area.
Inistioge, Ireland: Butler
Droheda area: Coogan
Liverpool: McDonald
?: Fahey

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
There seem to be a number of possibilities for arrivals for Bridget and Julia on www.castlegarden.org.  Unfortunately, the passenger lists from then have few details, so it's hard to be sure if you have the right person.