Author Topic: Help with a name  (Read 474 times)

Offline hayler3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a name
« on: Sunday 20 April 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
I have some old letters(late1890's)from family members who were nuns.-I assume they were writing home. One refers to an Alsie-We have no one by this name in the tree,but we do have an Alice. Is it likely to be a variation of Alice or nickname.
Thanks
Wendy.
Bullens of Liverpool,Pearsons of Liverpool,

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 14 10:15 BST (UK) »
Letters between female family members, in my personal experience, tended to be more informal especially if they were referring to younger family members or siblings and it is entirely possible that Alsie was a family variant for Alice.

Having said that ... a quick check on Google and it shows one site which lists Alcie as a variant of Alcina while another lists Elsie as the origin.

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
I agree with Falkryn that Alsie sounds very much like a pet name for Alice-all the old letters and cards I have found sent between the women in my family have used nicknames. How interesting to find a collection of letters from such a different way of life-do they give an insight into their lives?
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline hayler3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 April 14 06:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Falkyrn and janfurness. I think Alsie is probably referring to Alice. The letters really dont give much away about convent life-they speak adoringly of Jesus and inquire about relatives at home. One is written with writing going down and across the page(?called cross hatching),they are all in a fragile state.
Wendy
Bullens of Liverpool,Pearsons of Liverpool,