Author Topic: Ancester Information  (Read 7953 times)

Offline vivter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ancester Information
« on: Friday 24 June 05 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm Looking for any information on the McCowens who moved from Tralee to Dublin around the late 1800's. They lived in, house No. 88 South Circular Road Dublin.
 Any information would be appreciated.   :)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Ancester Information
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hiya Vivter,

I'm surprised that not one of the Dublin Rootschatters has posted a message listing a few of the churches in the South Circular Road area of Dublin as church records might come in handy in finding more information about the McCowen family.

Good Luck with the research.

Chris

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivter,

Do you have any other info on your McCowens, names of family members, occupations etc.

To find out more you will have to cast your net as widely as possible.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline fortunate1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vivter, did you find out any more info on the McCowen's.  My name is  McCowen and I am from Dublin, living in Kildare the last ten years.  I  remember seeing McCowen's of Tralee when I was a kid, I'm 47 now. McCowen's in Tralee had or have a huge builders providers and a few years ago while in Tralee I saw it was now called Heiton-McCowen, still a big builders providers.  There is a street called McCowen's Lane in Tralee,  I only know this because a young lady was murdered in a flat on McCowens lane a number of years ago and it was headline news.
My great grand father lived in North King Street in Dublin City, my Grand father was born there too. They later moved to Kimmage, a Dublin suburb. My grand father had  very successful tailoring business in the 50's and 60's located in Charlemont St, Dublin.  He lost the business due to bad decisions, he kept a big staff on the payroll even though business was dwindling due to increased  competition. Big hearted man.  He died in Luton UK seven years ago.  All that said........I dont know if I'm related to the Tralee McCowen's
His father or perhaps grandfather was a harbour master in Balbriggan port, county Dublin.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
in case you don't already have these.. from Thom's 1884

Francis McCowan,  Harbour Master, Balbriggan

he's also listed in the 1880 and 1877 editions
no sign of him as harbour master in 1894 or 1863

not sure if connected but Slater's of 1870 has a Francis McGowan, listed in the clergy & gentry section with an address at the quay in Balbriggan. A John Mackey is the harbour master.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline fortunate1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 09 01:11 GMT (UK) »

Wow Shane, thank you for that.  I started to scratch the surface on the family tree a few years ago but didn't get too far.  My grand father told me 3 Scottish McCowen brothers working on the coal ship between Barry in Wales and Balbriggan decided to settle in Ireland. He knew one became harbour master, believes another died in a drinking session, but had no idea about the third guy.......maybe he moved to tralee....
Thanks again.

Offline napamike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 July 10 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi- Am just getting started on McCowens also. My grandfather was born in Tralee. Do you have the names of the other brothers?  Robert is I beleive the first of the family to settle in Tralee in the late 1800's. He supposedly emigrated from Scotland but have not been able to confirm that.  He was responsible for starting the business that is still there, although  the family no longer owns it.

Offline napamike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 July 10 00:53 BST (UK) »
What I have is certs for death and marriage of William (Ne 1862), the son of Robert. But I have not info on
Robert except that he married someone with the last name of Lumsden.  Robert started a lumber
mill and provisions store in Tralee and it was family owned until the early 1900's.  William is my G-GF.
Am looking for info on he, Robert, or Rober's wife. 
Thanks in advance.

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 July 10 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Napamike and welcome to RootsChat,

It seems like you are flogging a dead horse on this one but don't give up.

Vivter hasn't been on here in about 18 months and Christopher is unfortunately deceased. Ronnie and Shane would like to help and there's no sign of Fortunate in over 3 months.

Here's two suggestions:

Post another message on this topic. Then you will have the 3 posts that open up the Personal Message system. You can then send a PM to any RootsChatter and they will get a reminder in their e-mail inbox.

Open a new topic and give as much detail as you like. Say what you are trying to find and trust to the RootsChat community to come up with some answers.

It works better in practice than how I described it.

Dara.