Author Topic: Bristol County Court, Insolvency proceedings, help please.  (Read 374 times)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bristol County Court, Insolvency proceedings, help please.
« on: Thursday 24 April 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I found a notice stating that my Great grandfather Thomas Henry Cole had to appear before the County Court of Gloucestershire at Bristol on 10 March 1848, as an insolvent debtor.  I would like to know the outcome and wondered if anyone knows how I would go about this?   Thank you, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol County Court, Insolvency proceedings, help please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 April 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
Good Morning

You will find some information here ………..    https://thegazette.co.uk
If you type his name into the search box on the right hand side of the page it should reveal a little more ……….

Also the subscription site find my past and the website …...    https://britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
for a fee will enable you to search certain newspapers which may offer you a little more detail ……..

Being an insolvent debtor was a criminal offence if he was unable to pay his debt off then he would face prison, so you could also try the local record office to see whether they kept any court records, bankruptcy records or prison records etc  ………..

Regards

Z :)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Z, thank you for the information, much appreciated, very handy sites, will be checking on these for all sorts. Found two notices regarding Thomas, but, I can't see anything about the actual court case. Do you know where this info' would be held?
Best wishes, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 April 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Z, forgot to mention I can't get to the BRO as I live too far away. Best wishes, Sara.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 April 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara

Is he in prison in the 1851 census? Sorry but I'm unsure of anything else online that could help. I think if you were to find anything it would be at the local record office, if he was convicted because he couldn't repay his debt then he would be held I believe in a local prison ……… maybe a call will help to clarify this and also offer information about additional records that may have survived …… they may offer a look-up service for a fee ….. but they will definitely be able to point you in the right direction ……

All the best

Z :)

To Add: I can see that he and his family appear in the 1851 census so I think that any detail that may have survived about the court case will be at the record office

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 April 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Z, will give them a ring and find out if they can help. Best wishes, Sara.