Author Topic: Cartes de Visite Album, Page 49  (Read 945 times)

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cartes de Visite Album, Page 49
« on: Monday 28 April 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's grandmother was Martha Hammond Thornewill (of Burton-o[-Trent) nee Wright (of Eyam).  I have her album of some 150 Cartes de Visite, with not very many of them identified.    I have scanned the empty pages, and front & back of each card. 

Can you tell me what date each of these is from, please?  That will help me to establish the year of birth, which just might enable me to identify the subject !  Information about the Studio would be of interest, too.

Page 49 contains three man and a lad.  One man is identified; the others I believe to be the owner's three sons, who previously appeared with her on previous page, Page 48, see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684829.0

Do you agree? 

I'm posting the lo-res versions, so please don't bother to try to improve them.

I am gathering the comments to store in a file alongside the pictures, and, when finished, it will be quite a task to analyse them all and draw deductions as to the identity of some currently unknown.
Researching:-   CLAY       THORNEWILL         POWELL         SOAMES

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cartes de Visite Album, Page 49
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 14 00:04 BST (UK) »
I believe this (43A) to be her eldest son, the Rev. Charles Thornewill, born 14 April 1841.

How old is he here / when was the photograph taken?

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 April 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
...and here (49B) is whom I believe to be her third son, Arthur Thornewill, born 21 April, 1853, whose pic I believe also appears at 48D, see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684829.0

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 April 14 00:26 BST (UK) »
Now, at 49C, is a new member of the cast, labelled as one Tinley Mason, died 10th April, 1872, aged

FreeBMD record this as occurring in Q2, 1872, registered at W.Derby, Vol. 8b, page 181.

West Derby is actually a suburb of Liverpool !

Ancestry has him "Born in Liverpool on 1844 to Robert Mason and Susanna Tinley"; and for his father, Robert:-
Born in Lakes, Derby on 1811. Robert married Susanna Tinley (b. 1818) and had 7 children.

•   Margarette Mason 1838-Unknown
•   Susanna Mason 1840-Unknown
•   Augusta Mason 1843-Unknown
•   Tinley Mason 1844-Unknown
•   Rusalia Mason 1846-Unknown
•   Edith Mason 1848-Unknown
•   Constance Mason 1853-1936

Now, the mother of Martha, the owner of this album, was one Mary mason, born Jan 1772, the daughter of one - Robert Mason.  So I guess that Tinley's father was Martha's brother... but I have yet to prove it.  Were that so, Tinley was Martha's nephew, and slightly younger than her second son (see below), so they might have been close.

I haven't yet found out why he died so young.

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
...and here (49D) is whom I believe to be her second son, Robert Thornewill, my grandmother's father, born 30 Oct. 1843.