Author Topic: Help locating death information  (Read 2403 times)

Offline xmedia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help locating death information
« on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of tracing my family tree and have come unstuck with two death dates

Looking for death of John Hill, living at 36 Ascroft Road, Oldham in the 1891 census. He was a 43 yr old Police Constable at that time. His wife's name was Hannah, He was born in North Cave Yorkshire in 1848.

By the 1901 census Hannah is a 53 yr old widow living with her son Bernard and his family.  I can't find a record of her death either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also how would I go about finding information for Isle of Man.   My fathers mother Evelyn McAvoy was born in 1909 at Chapel Brow, Little Clifton Cumbria.   I know she married Leonard Hill in Port St. Mary aged 19 in 1928 but wondered how to find out when she went to the Isle of Man.  I was hoping to try and trace from the address where she was listed as a General Servant at on her marriage certificate but I can't make out the address.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help locating death information
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome to RootsChat

Address (to me) looks like "Commisioners Terrace Port St Mary Rushden"

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xmedia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you will see if there was a road called that

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

The death on Freebmd of

John Hill  Jun Qtr. 1894 aged 47 years, I think is the correct one.

Here is the entry from Chadderton cemetery, John Hill of Ascroft Street aged 47 (same address on 1891 census)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-21599-77910-88?cc=1482833&wc=M6G4-4M9:50862801,50939301

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:36 BST (UK) »
Oh!!

...and welcome to Rootschat  :D :D :D
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xmedia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Claire - I'm new to this and it is proving harder as it is a common name and on my dads mothers side lots of name changes during census  Greggains, Gregin etc!!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome to RootsChat

Address (to me) looks like "Commisioners Terrace Port St Mary Rushden"

Suz

That would be Rushen!

The Commissioners is the Manx equivalent of the local council/councillors.

There are no passenger lists for the Isle of Man

Commissioners Terrace no longer exists - but I will try to find something for you.
I was planning on a walk down to the Isle of Man Museum later today! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline xmedia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much 

I have nothing for her between her 1911 census and how she got to Isle of Man.  I know they were living at 3 Park Road, Port St Mary when Leonard died 2nd March 1967.

Oral history from my dad was that a guesthouse was taken over when they made a kind of refugee camp during the war.  Whether this was Sea Crest mentioned as Leonard's address I don't know.  Leonard was born in Oldham in 1904 so don't know how he came to be in Isle of Man.

I also can find no record of Leonard's father Bernard Hill after his enlistment in 1914 for 3 years in the Army.  Whether they all moved to Isle of Man after the war I don't know.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
There were Internment Camps all over the Isle of Man during WW2.

The whole of Port Erin, a residential holiday village on the west coast, along with its smaller neighbour Port St Mary became Rushen Camp for women prisoners. Unlike the male camps there was no barbed wire and the boarding house keepers were allowed to stay; the women prisoners were billeted and catered for in a similar manner as ordinary holiday makers but on a tighter budget. The Government payed each landlady £1 3s 6d per head per week, the rations for the internees were also delivered to her. In the majority of cases the landladies did all the cooking. Landladies enjoyed certain powers: they were instructed to cut off the electric and gas supply at the hours fixed; they controlled the wireless and they had the right to go in the rooms at any time. Apart from housework the women followed no regular occupation.

After a visit by Vice-Chairman of the Advisory Committee to the Home Secretary on Aliens, Sir Herbert William Emerson on 6 January 1941, it was decided that Port St Mary should be a mixed camp for married aliens. Married couples would now be allowed to live together with their family and the married camp opened on 8 May 1941. The women's camp would be confined to Port Erin.

The separation of the two camps as independent units meant that there was now a large area between the two camps that could be re-opened to the general public. The mixed camp occupied the Promenade and Chapel Bay bathing beach with some fields at the back of the promenade houses. The new camp extended northwards from the main road to Gansey Point and consisted of the biggest boarding houses in the district including Ballaqueeney - the largest single boarding house in the Island and 170 families were accommodated there when it opened.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)