Author Topic: Stalbridge Parish Registers - POOLE  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stalbridge Parish Registers - POOLE
« on: Tuesday 29 April 14 18:29 BST (UK) »
The baptism of Henry Poole, son of George and Jane Poole, was recorded 24 March 1799 in Stalbridge. I have found records pertaining to other family members, but what I can't find is ANY record of Henry other than the aforementioned baptismal registration. No marriage, no burial, no obvious appearance in the 1841 census. For selfish reasons, I'm hoping that this means that Henry Poole left Dorset for Newfoundland and is the same Henry Poole, now married to Catherine (last name unknown), that was living in Lance Cove, Trinity Bay in 1833. If you can provide any information about this Stalbridge native, especially any info linking him to the Newfoundland Trade, Pooles everywhere will thank you -- okay, maybe not, but I will thank you profusely!
Poole Dorset Devon Somerset Newfoundland

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stalbridge Parish Registers - POOLE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 August 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
Have you looked through the actual parish registers for Stalbridge to see if there is anything after 1799 for Henry? Nothing on family search but the Dorset Online Parish Clerk website has a contact for look ups ( Sue Powell) for baptisms, marriages and burials from 1700 http://www.opcdorset.org/StalbridgeFiles/Stalbridge.htm

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stalbridge Parish Registers - POOLE
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 August 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I've actually been in touch with Sue, who was very helpful, but, alas, she found no record of Henry after his christening. I think the most promising set of records are the account books of the Overseers of the Poor for the parish of Stalbridge. I know the family relceived some relief -- I had an archivist in Dorchester take a look for me -- but a more thorough search of the records would require a trip to Dorset -- a daunting prospect for a Nova Scotian. Thanks again for your interest.
Poole Dorset Devon Somerset Newfoundland