Author Topic: What did a "tulter of pumps" do?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What did a "tulter of pumps" do?
« on: Friday 09 May 14 05:37 BST (UK) »
A friend has been trying to discover what her Scottish ancestor did for a living as a "tulter of pumps".
It has me puzzled. I wondered if it had something to do with coal mining and keeping the pits free of water, but I'm just guessing.
Since the person is not my ancestor, I know nothing about him. But I am still curious about his occupation!
Can anyone clarify what he was doing - without going to a whole lot of trouble, please?

Gerry
Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What did a "tulter of pumps" do?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 14 06:20 BST (UK) »
Where did this occupation come from? BMD? Census?
If you don't have the original (eg if this was from a transcription) I would advise looking at the original. If this is your friend's interpretation of what is written, could you please post the occupation here so we can have a look?
Something else you can do is look at this person's occupation on other documents which may give a clearer idea.
There's nothing like it here:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&980
 :-\
I suspect a mistranscription or misinterpretation somewhere ...

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie!

Your suggestion of a mistranscription was my first reaction.

I will ask for more detail next week when we get together.

It is reassuring in a way to know that you haven't heard of it either.

Regards,

Gerry
Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
The nearest I can see is pump tenter, aka pump attendant; in charge of a power driven pump.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Stan.

When I can have a close look at my friend's document, I will certainly keep your suggestion in mind. A mistranscription of that kind would be possible!

Regards,

Gerry