Author Topic: Father of James McKay Bishop?  (Read 5931 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Father of James McKay Bishop?
« on: Friday 16 May 14 02:54 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have contact with South Africa or know how I can find the father of James McKay Bishop born Cape of Good Hope 1837. Died 1887 O. Free State.  Married Mary Elizabeth Venables in 1867.
I know there are sites but my problem is I don't know which town is in which site etc.  I am trying to find when this family first came to South Africa.  Was it James' parents - if so where did they come from?
I would appreciate any help. 

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Father of James McKay Bishop?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 14 05:59 BST (UK) »

Does anyone have contact with South Africa or know how I can find the father of James McKay Bishop born Cape of Good Hope 1837.
Died 1887 O. Free State.
Married Mary Elizabeth Venables in 1867.

I know there are sites but my problem is I don't know which town is in which site etc.  I am trying to find when this family first came to South Africa.  Was it James' parents - if so where did they come from?

I would appreciate any help. 

Sorry don't have any contact with SA, if you haven't already used it perhaps the link below might be useful

A guide to researching in SA from an amateur genealogist who found it difficult to know how to research in SA has complied info. and has had enormous success in finding family

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z8w/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi I found a link with some records for J Bishop http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300ds?20140516092106B13F1B63

DEPOT     McGregor Museum, Kimberley                                           
TYPE      Manuscript                                                           
REFERENCE MMK7590/1-989                                                         
DESCRIPTION          Griqualand West Board of Executors.                                   
STARTING  1900                                                                 
ENDING    1960                                                                 
REMARKS   Donor: Griqualand West Board of Executors, Kimberley. Book           
          catalogue and card catalogue available. 22,40 lin. m.                 
SUMMARY   +    Solvent and insolvent estates done by the Griqualand West       
               Board of Executors.                                             
Not sure how to search these records perhaps someone with more experience can tell us.
Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 May 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks pampoen,  I have tried this link but can't seem to get through as yet.  I will have to put aside some extra time and try it again.  Thanks for your answer.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk,  Your suggested website is very interesting.  Such  a lot of information that I am sure will take weeks to sort through.  Much appreciated.

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 July 19 23:53 BST (UK) »
My Introduction Letter to RootsChat, Hi Everyone :). My name is Edward Rodney Bishop van Gass. I was raised in South Africa, where I lived 35 years of my 70 years. The second 35 years have been spent in the United States, where we live in the little town of Grace, Idaho.
My Adoptive Mother was Sarah Louisa Bishop (S. L. Bishop), Daughter of George Bishop and (Wiessie) Marg. van Soelen. Her mother was a daughter of Provincial President Boshoff. S. L. Bishop. She is the only daughter and had five brothers. All six have since passed away. She was the second child, yet outlived all her brothers, when she died at almost 89 years old. She was never married. She raised her nephew Kevin Bishop, because his mother died when he was very young. His father married later again. This lady (Joyce?) had a son by her previous husband. Together Joyce and (AB) Arendt Boshoff had a daughter names Patricia.
I was adopted at the age of 7, some 63 years ago by S. L. Bishop, who was never married. She was a schoolteacher. My name was not changed until I emigrated to the U.S.A. and added the Bishop as my third given name.
As far as I can remember, George James Bishop was the grandson of James McKay Bishop.
I understand that we have the birth and death dates of James McKay Bishop. Has anyone ever seen the Birth certificate or Birth Record? I would think that his parents’ name should be on that record. Since I live in the United States, I do not have the constant availability for receiving South African Civil records.
The last time I tried to search family history on both the van Gass and Bishop lines, the receptionists were not very friendly and not quite willing to help. However, they wanted rather large amounts of money for the records, which they would “Forward) to me in the States. I was informed by other researchers that the records would never arrive, since the receptionist would only pocket the money, once we leave the Civitas Building in Pretoria. I supposed that it would not be easy to just hop over to South Africa, in order to find out why the records were not sent in the first place.
That is why I wondered if someone possibly had seen the Birth Certificate or other actual records that would indicate the information as to the parents of James McKay Bishop.
I would love to continue chatting with anyone regarding the bishop family. I have a few pictures of some of the Bishop and van Soelen families.

Take care and thank you,
Ed van Gass.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hello, welcome to Roots Chat.  I have over the years been researching the Bishop Family. (My daughter has married a South African Bishop 5 years ago).  I was stumped for years about how the Bishops came to South Africa - always thought it may be from Scotland.  I found this site very helpful and if you look at all the entries under "Bishop family from South Africa) you will find the journey we took some years ago about James McKay Bishop.  This may give you some leads. My son in laws family is still in South Africa.  We would be happy to share any information or photos with you.  Our line is through John Bishop.   I haven't seen the birth certificate.  I am led to believe that James McKay was in the 91st Reg.and came from Scotland with that group to St. Helena (where I believe he would have been guarding and later at the exhumation of Napoleon Bonaparte- exciting info.?)
He then went with the 91st to Cape of Good Hope where he served 9 years 3 months (was part of the Kaffir Wars of 1846 and 1850,51,52). He then left the army and decided to stay in South Africa.
Happy to help any way I can. Regards

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 06:44 BST (UK) »
I presume you found his death notice
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939J-67W6-Z?i=173&cc=3040532
and Mary's DN
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939J-674Z-F?i=174&cc=3040532
They appear to have died a month apart both aged under 50 so it would appear that he was born c 1840. There would be no official birth record in SA ,if indeed was born in SA, that would mean you would need to find a baptism. Do you know where the children were born and also what religion they were - perhaps we can find a marriage which may give some clues through the witnesses to the marriage. Most SA records available on-line are on familysearch.org - there are masses of un-indexed records so it may be possible to find some details with oodles of patience.

Just found someone has started a tree on familysearch https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/MR4Y-T57
gives Mary's parentage and has the children's baptisms in the Methodist church attached. Unfortunately only a small number of the Methodist church records are on-line - you may need to contact them directly

Here is a link to their marriage record
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSK8-G967-W?i=382&cat=257099 wich discloses that Mary was a widower ! No other Bisphop's mentioned sadly
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 07:08 BST (UK) »
Do you know where the children were born and also what religion they were - perhaps we can find a marriage which may give some clues through the witnesses to the marriage.

You have just added extra info. to your post - as I was adding this

James Mac Kay Bishop Age:   26
Place of Origin:   Bloemfontein
Marriage Date:   25 Dec 1867
Marriage Place:   Free State, South Africa
Church:   Bloemfontein
Spouse:   Mary Elizabeth Clarke age 28
Religion:   Methodist
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk