Author Topic: William Oviatt - New York  (Read 1066 times)

Offline cabennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Oviatt - New York
« on: Monday 19 May 14 12:34 BST (UK) »
Help if you can.  My great grandfather was William Oviatt of Theresa, New York (also Evans Mills and Watertown).  His daughter, Mildred, was my grandmother.  He was married to Ella May Conkey, ? date.  Grandma told me he died in a hay press accident when she was 7 or 9.  Indeed, Ella shows up on a 1920 census without William.  According to my grandmother's information, he would have died circa 1916.  HOWEVER, when I did an SSDI search it came up as him having died in 1959.  My great aunt Irene was (apparently) from William's second marriage, according to grandma.  But the man either simply appeared or disappeared, as the case may be, because I can't seem to find a paper trail.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  The 1910 census lists him as having been born in New York, and his parents having been born in New York as well.  I could sure use a birth certificate but so far haven't been able to access that since NY is reluctant to put much of anything on the internet.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: William Oviatt - New York
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hello There ...

And welcome to Rootschat.

There is a William Oviatt on the 1920 US Federal census, living at Theresa Jefferson NY. He states that  he was born C1879 in New York. Both his parents were Canadian.

He is married, but no wife is listed. He has a 9 year old daughter Francis, and there is a 43 year old housekeeper, Sarah Johnson also

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat from me to

Watertown, New York, City Directory, 1924  William Oviatt  - (Ella)  William a labourer N NYU Inc h224 Moulton E.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Again....

Sandra found the 1924 information  in 1935.....

519 LeRay , Watertown NY , William was a labourer, and living with a Irene.

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
The name Oviatt seemed familiar - it was touched on at the end of this thread in March 2013 - (but the original poster didn't come back to the thread) -  think I suspected that the Sarah in the 1920 Census was Sarah Reed/Reid/Vandusen/Johnson. Will link in case there is a connection.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=638756.9

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Its always possibly there was more than one William Oviatt - a Watertown, New York, City Directory, 1934 lists a William H Oviatt r 519 Le Ray - whilst Mrs Ella A Oviatt is residing at R 215 Main W.

Watertown, New York, City Directory, 1931 shows William (Lab) and Irene (Clk) at 517 Le Ray

i.e  - A WW1 Draft for a William Oviatt  - 3 Feb 1879 - Jefferson NY - states William (none) Oviatt - a stock clerk for New York Air Brakes.

The 1910 census Theresa, Jefferson, New York - William and Francis fit the entry for 1920 -

William H Avitt  29 Born 1881 NY. Married 1 for 7 years. Concrete Works.
Ella A Avitt  30 Born 1880 NY. Married 1 for 7 years. Had 2 children and 2 survive.
Francis I Avitt  0 Born NY 1910.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
1930 Census for William H Oviatt - Theresa, Jefferson, New York. The years married seem to match the 1910 census of William and Ella.

William H Oviatt  51 Born New York. First married at 24 years. Manager -Farm. 

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
William mistranscribed on the 1915 Theresa, Jefferson Census - clearly Mildred on the image not Millton.

William K Cliatt (Oviatt) 35
Ella Oviatt  36
Millton (Mildred)  Oviatt  7
Frances Oviatt  5
Elizabeth Canney  14 Lodger
Peter M Britton  74 Head of next household.

Sandra

Offline cabennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 May 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the help.  Mildred was my grandmother.  Irene was her sister, hence his daughter.  I knew them both very well.  You did come up with a couple of sources that I hadn't found.  Sarah Johnson was a mystery to me.  I'll check her with those other names as well as the date of her immigration. 

I suppose there could be two William Oviatts in the Watertown area, though the city was pretty small at the time.  Even today population is still only about 20,000 or so.  Evans Mills and Theresa are a couple of those areas where if you blink twice you missed them.