Author Topic: PAGE Thomas and LAND Eliza or John  (Read 7361 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PAGE Thomas and LAND Eliza or John
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 May 14 01:20 BST (UK) »
....................his birth place as Oldbury, Stafford   

Oh my - now Edward is born in three different counties!!  ::)

Here is a baptism which is possibly Eliza LAND - Llanllwchaiarn is just outside Newtown

Eliza FOULKES
Baptism: 22 May 1815, Llanllwchaiarn,Montgomery,Wales
Father:    John Foulkes
Mother:    Margaret
FHL Film Number:   104805

I found it on FamilySearch by using the FHL film number.  The entry on FamilySearch has a link to FindMyPast which is supposed to have an image of that baptism.  I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 May 14 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith
Thanks re Eliza's - unfortunately I don't subscribe to Find My Past either - and wonder if there would be much more information on the Image???  maybe worth getting a small voucher........ it certainly looks very likely - I know I only have the 1951 Census which says Newton Montgomeryshire,Wales.
Siouxann
Annett : Bain : Land : North : Johnstone :

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 May 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi There Debra, Ros and Judith

Well I received the Marriage Transcript for Thomas and Elizabeth's daughter and I sure was "off track" that Thomas who was Licensee of the Steam Engine Inn married an Elizabeth Price grrrr  I then checked on Ancestry and found the  marriage and Permission to Marry (convict) - had difficulty reading the Intention to Marry (if anyone can help that would be great please) but am now fairly sure it wasn't our Eliza( Elizabeth)  - I looked at the ship's manifest again and I think Debra is probably correct and she was Eliza sister in law - not sure where to go now.....  an Eliza Page definitely came to Australia as did her Nephew John Land before the rest of the family in 1858 - John was in the country 11 years and died at Rookwood aged 32 1868 (paralysis) 11 years in NSW haven't found any more about him either... They both appeared to be staying at the Steam Engine Inn when when the Ships Manifest was written.   Eliza Land nee Foulkes (Wales) had a brother John Foulkes, who appears to have gone  to Ontario and married a Mary Ann Bell .... will try to see if there is more family.   Any help appreciated thank you Sioux Ann -

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 May 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
Piece from the Ship Manifest "Switzerland" from Debra

Actually, the manifest identifies her as Eliza's sister!  I know that they likely were not both named Eliza, but it is not unusual to see an Eliza and an Elizabeth in the same family.  I also concede that shipping records can be incorrect.

Edward's relations in the colony - "son John LAND, Engine Inn, George Street"

Eliza's relations in the colony - "son as above, sister Eliza PAGE, Steam Engine Inn, 516 George Street"

Their children's relations in the colony - "brother and aunt as above"

Thank you
Siouxann

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 May 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thomas PAGE and Elizabeth PRICE married in Australia in 1844.
New South Wales, Australia, Registers of Convicts' Applications to Marry, 1826-1851  and
Australia Marriage Index 1844
Siouxann

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 July 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
UPDATE on my research re Thomas and Elizabeth Page.  After help via Family Probates and Wills (thank you Ros) I can definitely say that Thomas Page and Elizabeth nee Price are my relations.  Just no at all sure how the Price maiden name fits in at the moment.

Thomas (1836 to Sydney) and Elizabeth (Eliza) (1840) came separately to Australia as Convicts and married in 1844 and later Thomas was Licensee of the Steam Engine Inn - Thomas died 1893 and Elizabeth 1899. 

I am still trying to fit Elizabeth into either the LAND or FOULKES families and any help would be appreciated.

Other family Members were Susan LAND, married  Alfred John DOUGLASS, their sons Alfred Tom and Harold Page.  All lived in and around Sydney.

Siouxann

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 July 14 07:14 BST (UK) »
I am also trying to find any information at all for John LAND born in England 1836 and came to Australia approx 1857 - he died at Rookwood 1868 (paralysis) but these are the only details I have.
Thanks Siouxann

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: PAGE Thomas and PRICE Elizabeth ( Eliza) or John
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 02 August 14 01:56 BST (UK) »
After more research and Death/Marriage Certificates -   Thomas PAGE married Elizabeth (Eliza) in 1844 in Sydney but her surname was PRICE - any help on their birth and parents much appreciated.  Both Certificates said Born Birmingham, Warwickshire on the Death Certificate.  Thomas 1816 and Elizabeth or Eliza 1820. - Fathers stated as PAGE no first name  and PRICE no first name - no mothers (unknown).
Both Ccnvicts to Australia...

Thank you
Siouxann

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 02 August 14 04:34 BST (UK) »
Debra posted this death for Eliza(beth)
236/1899
PAGE, ELIZABETH
AGE 79 YEARS
DIED SYDNEY
Registered at SYDNEY

It sounds as though you have the death cert for this.  Who is the informant, please? Also could you list the names,ages of any children, as I am wondering if there is any clue to her parents' names.

this is the nearest baptism in Birmingham, but the names are fairly common so.........  :-\

At St Philip's, Birmingham, baptised 12 April 1819
born 20 March 1819
Elizabeth PRICE
d/o Edward and Elizabeth PRICE, Slaney (Staney?) Street.  Edward's occ: japanner

Some others, also at St Philip's
Elizabeth PRICE, born 11 Jul 1821, baptised 18 Jul 1822
Parents: Joseph Price, jeweller, Mary Price of Great Hampton St

Elizabeth PRICE, born 2 Feb 1817, baptised 24 Feb 1817
Parents: John Price, labourer, Elizabeth Price of Islington Place

Lots of others of the same name but the birth years are further away from 1819.

Not much help really.  :(
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk