Author Topic: Difficult Troods in Buckland Monachorum  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Difficult Troods in Buckland Monachorum
« on: Friday 23 May 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all :)

I've been trying to make sense of my TROOD family... at the moment it's like trying to put together a jigsaw with half the pieces missing.

It appears the online baptisms only go back to 1813 but apparently records before that do exist? I have a lot of TROODs but I can't match them up to the right branches- I get the feeling the majority if not all of the TROODs in Buckland Monachorum at this time period are all extended family. The same names keep popping up at least.

My ancestor was Jane TROOD c. 1789 Buckland Monachorum. I'm fairly sure she had a brother Charles TROOD c. 1791 Buckland Monachorum. I've got marriages, censuses and children for both of these, but I don't know who their parents were. I have a few marriages that took place in Buckland Monachorum and could put a guess on it, but that's not proof of anything.

I wondered if anyone had access to pre-1813 christenings or was planning to go to archives or anything that might possibly help me? I'd be very grateful. It's been starting to affect my sanity I think  ;D

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Difficult Troods in Buckland Monachorum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 14 05:53 BST (UK) »
There seems to be a gap in the records between 1775 and early 1800's.
Might be worth a look here...http://www.devon.gov.uk/index.htm
A mini one name study for the Troods might be the go.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
Oh you are joking :( How typical.

Thank you for the link, although I'm not sure what I'm meant to be looking at?

I've never conducted a one name study before and not sure how I can link people together without the christenings, given the awkward time scale. Only the children (Jane/Charles' generation) are on the census... and I've found nothing else yet that might give me a hand with it. Can you give me any advice on that?

Thanks.

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 May 14 10:43 BST (UK) »
Best place to see what records are in the Record offices is here:-
http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/record_office/information_about_devon_heritage_services/parish_register_list/dpr_b.htm

It says that the records are in P&WDRO. So should be on Find My Past.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 May 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I can only find the records on FindMyPast (which is irritating) but indeed have no christenings pre-1813 on there (for any name, not just Trood). I found three isolated christenings in the 1770s on FamilySearch, but otherwise nothing there.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 May 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just to mention that the full baptisms 1700-1837  for the parish are on Parish Chest website for £6.
it also has marriages and burials.
I wouldn't normally suggest paying but if you are going to FindMyPast any way you might find that getting the full parish records to keep is more economical.
Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 May 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Here are the wills for Trood from the Devon Will Index
Trood    Ann    Willand    DEV         1853    W    co         IRW    T 692    
Trood    Benjamin    Silverton    DEV         1831    W    co         IRW    T 693    
Trood    Edward    Churchstanton    DEV         1814    W    co         IRW    T 694    
Trood    Edward    Exmouth [Littleham (near Exmouth) and Withycombe Raleigh]    DEV         1899    W    co         DHC-W    53/6 box 30    
Trood    George    Tiverton    DEV         1778    W    le    EXE    FRYA    W.    
Trood    Grace    Exminster    DEV         1825    W    co         IRW    T 695    
Trood    James    Buckland Monachorum    DEV         1818    W    co         IRW    T 696    
Trood    Joanna    Broadhempston    DEV    servant    1853    W    co    PCC    PROB 11    2176    
Trood    John    Cleyhidon [Clayhidon]    DEV         1706    W    le    EXE    FRYA    W.    
Trood    John    Churchtaunton [Churchstanton]    DEV         1742    A    le    EXE    FRYA    A.    
Trood    John    Church Taunton [Churchstanton]    DEV         1764    A    le    EXE    FRYA    A.    
Trood    John    Church Taunton [Churchstanton]    DEV         1764    W    le    EXE    FRYA    W.    
Trood    John    Exeter    DEV    gentleman    1817    W    co    PCC    PROB 11    1588    
Trood    Mathew    Church Taunton [Churchstanton]    DEV         1755    W    le    EXE    FRYA    W.    
Trood    Matthew    Church Taunton [Churchstanton]    DEV         1756    W    le    EXE    FRYA    W.    
Trood    Matthew    Huxham    DEV         1820    W    co         IRW    T 697    
Trood    Matthias    Broadclyst    DEV         1838    W    co         IRW    T 699    
Trood    Matthias    Silverton    DEV         1855    W    co         IRW    T 698    
Trood    Robert    Exminster    DEV    gentleman    1845    W    co    PCC    PROB 11    2016    
Trood    Thomas    Exminster    DEV         1815    W    co         IRW    T 700    
Trood    Thomas    Silverton    DEV         1849    W    co         IRW    T 701    
Trood    Thomas    Saint Thomas the Apostle [Exeter St Thomas the Apostle]    DEV    gentleman    1857    W    co    PCC    PROB 11    2254    
Trood    William    Thornecombe [Thorncombe (Dorset)]    DEV         1668    W    le    EPRE    FRYA    W.    
Trood    William Copp    Harbor Briton, Newfoundland    CAN    a minor    1857    A    ab    EXE    DDR2    IR 26/534 f.46    admon to John Trood of Broadhempstone, father
Troode    Elizabeth    Hemyock    DEV    widow    1621    W    ab         FURG    p. 8    
Troode    Elizabeth    Hemyocke [Hemyock]    DEV         1621    W    co         DHC-U    Chanter 854c, f.88v    
Troode    Richard    Tiverton    DEV    officer of excise    1732    W    co    PCC    PROB 11    650    

You may want to track down the Will for James his Will has survived in the Inland Revenue Collection and is currently at Devon  Archives(well supposedly).
Any Will without le beside it has a copy surviving.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 May 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks :) I'll put James's will on the list as a last resort... I'm not sure who he is lol

Thank you for the site recommendation, that's certainly worth a look. Do you know for sure there are continuous baptisms for the time period? At any rate £6 isn't that much and if all else fails I could probably hunt down someone else's queries to help out with  ;D

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 May 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
A Charles TROOD married Susanna BROWN at Buckland Monachorum 19 May 1779, so it is possible that they are the parents of your Jane & Charles. Charles was born in 1752 and was buried at BM 4 Dec 1831.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates