Author Topic: Burial of Frederick Leaf Franklin  (Read 480 times)

Offline HLB1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial of Frederick Leaf Franklin
« on: Friday 30 May 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
Bancroft's School, Woodford is running a project to recognize and honour former pupils who died as a consequence of fighting in WW1. Part of this programme is to lay wreathes. I have provided them with information about one of my second cousins. Because he died in 1920 as a result of injuries sustained earlier, he is not covered by the War Graves Commission and I have been unable to locate his grave. Can anyone help?

The details I have of Frederick are:
BORN July-Sept 1897 Plumstead. Ref: Woolwich 1D 1365.
BAPTISM 7th March 1906, Plumstead St Margaret.
DIED 17th June 1920, Camberwell House, Peckham, Surrey.
HOME ADDRESS 166 Ancona Road Plumstead
Middlemast, Durham/Northumberland
Burrell, Durham
Chambers, Durham/Northumberland
Daglish, Durham/Northumberland
Robinson, Durham
Forster, Northumberland
Lyons, Cumberland/Durham/Scotland
Franklin, Durham /Yorks/Northumberland/London
Collin, Durham
Bestford,Durham
Lawson,Durham

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Frederick Leaf Franklin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
You are very lucky as he is on https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

He was buried in Woolwich Cemetery (Greenwich)   on 23rd June 1920.

You can pay a small fee and look at the burial register and see who else he's buried with (2 others).

Info on Woolwich cemetery......

Woolwich Cemetery, Kings Highway, Plumstead, London SE18 2DS

The Victorian Woolwich Cemetery comprises essentially two separate cemeteries: the 'old' cemetery, opened in 1856 and accessible through the main gateway off King's Highway, and the newer and larger section which opened in 1885.

All 78,000 of the cemetery's burial records from 1856 until 2000 are now available. As with the other cemeteries within the Royal Borough of Greenwich, the data comprises burial register scans, grave details, cemetery maps showing grave locations and a small number of memorial photographs.

The old section is particularly scenic, built on a hillside with a long driveway sweeping uphill to the original chapel and landscaped with many large and beautiful old trees including cypresses, beech and Scots pine. Among the memorials are three that are particularly notable:

A Celtic Cross paid for by 'National Sixpenny Subscription' from over 23,000 people and erected to the memory of what remains London's worst ever peacetime accident which claimed the lives of approximately 600 people. One of the inscriptions on the memorial describes the accident: "The salon steamer Princess Alice returning from a pleasure excursion was wrecked off Tripcock Point (on the River Thames, near Thamesmead and Gallons Hill) by collision with the steam collier Bywell Castle on the night of September 3rd 1878." Many of the victims were buried in Woolwich Cemetery near to the memorial, including that of the Princess Alice's Captain, William Robert Grinsted, whose family erected a small plain stone memorial nearby.
    Another Celtic Cross: "To the memory of Temple Leighton Phipson-Wybrants late Captain 75th Regiment (Gordon Highlanders) who died on his 34th birthday November 29th 1880 while in command of an expedition exploring the Sabi River, Eastern Africa. His body recovered through his mother's devotion October 7th 1881 now rests here".
    A WW1 memorial with the names of 14 casualties, which is also surrounded by many other headstones. The cemetery has a total of 175 WW1 burials and memorials.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HLB1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 May 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Carol. I'll get the details and pass them on.
Middlemast, Durham/Northumberland
Burrell, Durham
Chambers, Durham/Northumberland
Daglish, Durham/Northumberland
Robinson, Durham
Forster, Northumberland
Lyons, Cumberland/Durham/Scotland
Franklin, Durham /Yorks/Northumberland/London
Collin, Durham
Bestford,Durham
Lawson,Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 17 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Was just watching an episode of "Coast" on TV which prompted me to search out this list of passengers involved in the tragedy:

http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-928.html
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.