Author Topic: Walter Gordon,Royal Infirmary Glasgow  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Gordon,Royal Infirmary Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 June 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Someone on RC may be able to tell you where the Banffshire records are held and if they cover this period.

As Lodger says, the formal poor relief system didn't start until 1845, so will not be any use here. (The extant poor relief records for Banffshire are in the Aberdeen Archives).

You might want to take a look at the Banff Kirk Session records. The Kirk Sessions did occasional include some information about why a particular person might need to claim on the parish. But I wouldn't get too excited as there may be nothing to find. The KS records are in the National Archives Records of Scotland and require a visit from someone to consult them. They can also be consulted in Glasgow and Inverness and in Aberdeen Archives, and possibly in some other archives that I don't yet know about, if that is any handier for you, or someone taking a look on your behalf.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Gordon,Royal Infirmary Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 June 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you all,  The later Census records I have for Walters wife Catherine state she was a 'Merchant' and 'Formerly Innkeeper' so perhaps she was self supporting. Darn, I had the most fantastic trip to the UK/Scotland in 2007. Wish I knew this information then, however I did get to see the home of my gg-grandfather in Banff which was very special. Also found the family headstone of another of his sons in Banff cemetary. It is so much easier to be there than over here in NZ! Thank heavens for the internet at least  :) Now, where to look next  ???