Author Topic: Assheton of Croston  (Read 15369 times)

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Assheton of Croston
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 April 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
Having stumbled on this thread, please can I ask about some questions about some of the slightly more recent generations?

I descend from Thomas Ashton of Croston whose daughter Alice married John Molyneux (c.1518-21st July 1582) of Melling, co. Lancaster. Who was this Thomas's wife and where do they fit into this family, please?

I see in Dugdale's Visitation that Thomas Ashton (d.c.1624) of Croston married Elizabeth, dau. of Sir Henry Twyford (and then various descendants are shown) - does this family connect and if so how, please?

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 April 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the plaques in Lincoln Cathedral?

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 April 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
No I have not seen the plaques in Lincoln Cathedral. Are there details of them anywhere online, please?

Many thanks,
Caspar

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 April 16 11:33 BST (UK) »
You could try googling Lincoln Cathedral. I'm near there if you would like me to take photos. I have sent you a pm.

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
hello CasparV .

Elizabeth Twyford of Salop
1548–1611
BIRTH 1548 • Lancashire England
DEATH 1611 • Lancashire England
10th great-grandmother

Thomas Ashton of Croston
1548–1621
BIRTH 18 JUL 1548 • Croston, Lancashire, England
DEATH 24 FEB 1621 • Croston, Lancashire, England
10th great-grandfather

i do not think they fit your reqsuest

but if you have a look at

Sir Thomas Ashton of Croston
1490–1528
BIRTH 1490 • Croston, Lancashire, , England
DEATH 1528 • Croston, Lancashire, , England
12th great-grandfather his Half Sibling is

Richard constable of Liverpool castle de Molyneux master forester of the forest and parks of West Derbyshire, steward of Salfordshire
1396–1460
BIRTH 5 OCT 1396 • Sefton, Lancashire, England
DEATH 1460
13th great-uncle

married

Lady Joan (Countess of Haydock) Haydock
1395–1440
BIRTH 1395 • Bradley, Lancashire
DEATH 17 JANUARY 1440
4th cousin 15x removed

Hop this helps

* The Assheton inquisition * .

mors non est finis

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hello CasparV
This is what i have on john Molyneux of Melling

in 1395–6 Richard de Eves of Thornton gave to Henry Boys the 6 acres called Pepperfield, (fn. 93) and about fourteen years afterwards Richard de Eves and Maud his wife sold it to Nicholas Blundell of Little Crosby, Henry Boys, son of William Highson, releasing all his right therein. (fn. 94) Next Henry Blundell gave to Robert, son of John Molyneux of Melling, in 1454–5 a pound of pepper with the field called Pepperfield.

About the beginning of the fifteenth century the Molyneux family of Thornton, who, as already shown, had long claimed a manor, (fn. 43) made Melling their principal residence, their house being known as The Wood, or Hall of the Wood. Robert de Molyneux, the first described as 'of Melling,' (fn. 44) had a son John who married Agnes daughter of Henry Blundell of Crosby, (fn. 45) and was succeeded by his son Robert and his grandson John. (fn. 46) The latter's son and heir Robert died 5 July 1541, leaving a son and heir John, then aged twenty-three, and younger children. (fn. 47)

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp66-74

John Molyneux was one of the eight Lancashire gentlemen and yeoman recusants who at the beginning of the Elizabethan persecution in 1568 were singled out by the royal commissioners in the hope of terrorizing the rest. John Molyneux stated that he had attended service at Melling chapel

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp208-215

so we see that John Molyneux of Melling married Agnes daughter of Henry Blundell of Crosby

at this time i have not seen any retts for john to directly connect to the ashtons

back up the line of the Molyneux they do linkup and the funny thing is Henry Blundell of Crosby , a William Blundell of Crosby is a grandfarther of my grandmother , lmao

hop that helps , see Ancestry.com.au

mors non est finis

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 May 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all of that.

I have constructed pedigrees for Molyneux of the Wood in Melling and for Ashton of Croston (sometimes Crofton) and there appears to be a connection, but I am still not entirely confident and I have no mother for Alice (daughter of Thomas Ashton of Croston, who married John Molyneux of Melling).

I have also tried to consruct a pedigree for Ashton of Bispham - I have found many menbers and have short runs, but nothing that joins up very well. Does anyone have anything any better on this branch, please?

Many thanks,
Caspar

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 May 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
ok then 

[no title]  DDN 1/41  27 Mar. 1500

Contents:
Mortgage: for £30. 13. 4: Thomas Hesketh, esq., & Roger Dalton, esq. -- properties in Croston & Mawdesley, late of Margaret wife of Thomas Ashton, in the tenures of Elis Scharpuls, Hugh Haresnape, Robert Jamisson, Robert Hogekinson, William Adamson, Richard Waterward, Gilbart Nelson, Cristor Rutter, Richard Nelson, Robert Waterward, Issabell Sonke, Charles Herrison, Robert Woddes, Ottwell Mawdesley, Robert Nicholasson, Henry Hanworth, Robert Mawdesley, Richard Ashton, Thomas Ashton, & Issabell widow of John Nelson; & rents from a close called Burscogh Feld & from lands of William Brodehede; & properties late in the tenure of William Holme, Thomas Farington, & John Brethyrton; also lands belonging to Flemynge Hall, with an acre of meadow in Old Mawdesley which belonged to Thomas Dalton of Bispham for life. Seal

Margaret Scarisbrick wife of Thomas Ashton

i cross parths with the Scarisbricks often , i have Joan de Scarisbrick wife of Hugh Aughton of North Meols
work in progress
Sir Barnaby Kytchine of Pilling hall m Ellen  sefton Molyneux of North Meols
he allready has married Anne Aughton of North Meols daughter of Richard Aughton of North Meols and Isabel Boteler of North Meols they lead to Katherine de Cowdray of North Meols and Otes de Halshall of Halsall etc Eleanor de Cowdray of North Meols married Henry de Scarisbrick of Scarisbrick,North Meols on to Gilbert de Scarisbrick of Scarisbrick and Joan de Kirkby

Plunder the church , you need this info to make it work good luck

oh yer Henry Twyford aka Townsend

mors non est finis

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 July 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
Assheton of Wolfall

In 1309 Richard de Wolfall and others were accused of disseising John son of John de Wolfall of his lands in Huyton; Assize R. 423, m. 1 d.
71. John de Wolfall was in 1356 made warden of the park of Simonswood; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 270,n. 145. A feoffment of John de Wolfall and Margery his wife in 1354 is among the Norris D. (B.M.), 984. Henry de Wolfall occurs as granting to Sir Robert de Lathom land in the waste of Huyton, beginning at the house of Robert son of Roger de Thingwall, and following the bounds of Knowsley and West Derby, and thence to the land of William de Huyton; ibid. n. 982.
72. Kuerden, loc. cit. n. 61, 32, 21. One branch of the family seems to have settled in the Lydiate district, and families there about this time laid claim to lands in Wolfall. John de Cowdray the younger in 1343 acquired 5 acres in a field called Roolowe (now Rooley); Bold D. (Warrington), G. 12. Richard de Aughton leased to John de Pennington the lands which had been John de Cowdray's in Huyton; in 1377 Robert de Wolfall gave to Richard de Pennington lands in the College field there; Kuerden, loc. cit. n. 19, 14, 36, 79. Some cross suits had in 1358 preceded this—between John de Wolfall on the one side, and Richard de Aughton and Katherine his wife, with whom was joined Isabel daughter of Henry de Scarisbrick, on the other. John de Cowdray, deceased, had been uncle of Katherine and grand-uncle of Isabel (a minor); Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 7, m. 4, 5, 5 d.
73. Kuerden, loc. cit. n. 18.
74. Assize R. 435, m. 4 d.; 425.
75. Norris D. (B.M.), 987. See Kuerden, loc. cit. n. 8, 11, 24.
76. John married (about 1396) Emmot daughter of John de Ashton, the latter paying £20 and assigning the lands he had bought from Adam de Wolfall; ibid. n. 77, also 3, 12, 20, 64.
77. Ibid. &c. n. 122, 10, 28, 126–9, 123, 29, 34. In some of these abstracts Nicholas and Thomas are called John's sons. The dates are from 2 to 7 Hen. IV. John Wolfall and Thomas Wolfall the younger occur in a settlement of 1417; ibid. n. 119. In 1435–6 Thomas son of John Wolfall made a release to John Ashton; ibid. n. 48. The next who occur are Richard
Wolfall (1442–3), John son of Richard Wolfall (1465), and Thomas son and heir of John Wolfall (1479 to 1488);
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp168-176
next see
Townships: North Meols
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp230-236

cross Reffs, with above.

Sir Thomas Ashton of Croston
1490–1528
BIRTH 1490 • Croston, Lancashire, , England
DEATH 1528 • Croston, Lancashire, , England
12th great-grandfather

Lady Agnes Standish of Croston
BIRTH 1490 • Ormskirk, Lancashire, , England