Author Topic: Shropshire Light Infantry  (Read 526 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Shropshire Light Infantry
« on: Wednesday 18 June 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm told this photo is of Wilfred Mortimer Gough.  Wilfred was b. Nov 1886 in Bridgnorth.  On the 1891 and 1901 census he's with his parents in Bridgnorth.  In 1901 he's an errand boy.  In 1909 he marries Eliza Cross in Wolverhampton Reg District, and in 1911, they're in Yardley, Birmingham where he's a carter.  He dies of TB and heart failure in Nov 1914.

So, he didn't serve in WWI, but sometime between 1901 and 1911 he was obviously in the KSLI.  Can anyone help me by dating this photo, perhaps, or telling me what the KSLI were up to  between those dates, etc? 

I've look everywhere I can think of to try to track down Wilfred's service records, but he doesn't seem to come up anywhere.

The photo is in an oval mount and says "W Kindler & Co, photographers" in the bottom r/h corner.  According to an on-line resource, Kindler's were in Walsall.

Thanks
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Light Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
He could have been a part time soldier, in the Militia or a Volunteer Battalion. If the former his record may be on Findmypast. If in the VB you are unlikely to find anything. Militiamen served for six years - 7 weeks initial training and 1-2 months a year annual training.

VBs served one evening a week and a two weeks summer camp. In his time they did not do anything. A few years earlier he could have volunteered for the Boer War. A high resolution scan of his shoulder title might help. VBs have a number then a V then the initials of the regiment.

Militiamen usually have a silvered badge, while Regulars were in brass.

Ken

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
Oh thanks for that.

Do you think the uniform is right for the fates,

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 22:18 BST (UK) »
It may be worth contacting the Shropshire Regiment Museum

The Castle,
Castle St.,
Shrewsbury,
SY1 2AT

Tel: 01743 358516 or 262292