Author Topic: Ninyon Chaloner  (Read 4059 times)

Offline chaloner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ninyon Chaloner
« on: Thursday 19 June 14 06:10 BST (UK) »
My 6th great grandfather Ninyon Chaloner (1688-1752) (Also spelled Ninian) was born in England but died in Rhode Island, America. He married Ann Tyrrell Brown (1700-1769). On his gravestone shows the chevron of Chaloners of Yorkshire. Right now I am totally stuck. I can't find his siblings and his parents info. If I find out who they are I can link all Chaloners in America to all Chaloners around Great Britain. I looked everywhere and I simply can't find. Can someone help?

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ninyon Chaloner
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 June 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
I think it's a bit optimistic to link "all UK Chaloners" through one birth record...

Was the gravestone erected and carved at /near the time of burial or could it be a fanciful addition?
Just 'cause he carried the surname, doesn't bestow the right to bear the crest...

Any idea when he crossed the pond (with whom)? , or where he wed?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 June 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Contrary to popular belief, a coat-of-arms does not belong to a surname, but to a named individual and, possibly his male descendants! ;D

See: http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/resources/faqs

Are you also looking at the variants of the Chaloner surname?
Chalenur, Chalonar, Challen(d)er, Challenor, Challiner, Chaloner, Channer and Chawner

Just for as example, the 1851 England & Wales census has:
375 Chaloner
316 Challoner
179 Challenor
18 Chalenor
82 Chalinor
665 Challinor
etc., etc.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 June 14 10:43 BST (UK) »
So, what you are looking for is a christening of a Ninian Challoner  ( variety of spellings will need to be considered back in that era) around  1688, in England. Hmmm, rather an impossible task!  Even with the starting place of "possibly Yorkshire", you are talking hundreds of parishes to consider, not all of which will have records online, and quite likely not all of which's records from that era may have survived, or if they have, in any legible form.
Sorry, but in all honesty, and being realistic, this is a non-starter!

And I do agree with Pauline, even if you found his christening, that would not link him to all Challoners - it would take many years of work to research all descendents from all his siblings (if he had any, at this point you do not know) , or then to go back a generation and do the same for his fathers male siblings (always assuming records have survived) etc etc ..... Again in reality it is a non starter to link " all Challoners in Great Britain", in my humble opinion!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 July 14 09:23 BST (UK) »
I read somewhere that the name Ninian was often used by Catholic recusants so might be worth checking recusant records

Offline chaloner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 July 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
Actually all Chaloner's are descendant to Prince Madoc Kryme of Wales. The story has been past down generation to generation. And not from the internet.  :P Was told about the story way before the internet was invented. God i'm old lol

So, what you are looking for is a christening of a Ninian Challoner  ( variety of spellings will need to be considered back in that era) around  1688, in England. Hmmm, rather an impossible task!  Even with the starting place of "possibly Yorkshire", you are talking hundreds of parishes to consider, not all of which will have records online, and quite likely not all of which's records from that era may have survived, or if they have, in any legible form.
Sorry, but in all honesty, and being realistic, this is a non-starter!

And I do agree with Pauline, even if you found his christening, that would not link him to all Challoners - it would take many years of work to research all descendents from all his siblings (if he had any, at this point you do not know) , or then to go back a generation and do the same for his fathers male siblings (always assuming records have survived) etc etc ..... Again in reality it is a non starter to link " all Challoners in Great Britain", in my humble opinion!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 July 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Being told about something does not make it a proven fact.

As to your Ninyon Challoner, you may be able to make some headway by looking at other Yorkshire Challoners from the same period on www.familysearch.org. I could not find a Ninyon or Ninyon to fit your dates and locations but there may be other family members who might open up leads if you investigate them more closely.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline chloella1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 March 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I am the 9th great niece of ninyon and we are still in uk

Offline chloella1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 March 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi I am ninyon's 9th great niece and the family still lives in uk. You can email me at (*) and I can give you all the information you are looking for

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php