Author Topic: Help With Identity Comparison of William Wilson  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help With Identity Comparison of William Wilson
« on: Saturday 21 June 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to give me your opinions with regard to three photos I have put together.

The two photos on the left are of William Wilson as a young man in WW1. The part photo on the right is of a ship's crew, taken in WW2, uncaptioned. I know that this ship had a crewman by the name of William Wilson and I am wondering whether the man shown on the left of that photo could be William Wilson and whether he is the same William Wilson shown as a younger man in my WW1 photos.

Some unbiased opinions would be very helpful if you wouldn't mind. I have a copy of the full photo of the ship crewmen so will attach that to another message immediately following this.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Identity Comparison
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 14 00:28 BST (UK) »
Here is the full crew photo showing my subject third from right.

Regards Eliza
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 14 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Eliza, he seems to be the right age and there are a lot of similarities. The ears for example, and the mouth, if you allow for ageing  :).

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 14 02:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Billiegirl,

I think so too - the nose also seems quite similar and the set of the eyebrows. Difficult to say fully as the photo of the crew gives a view of him which would need to be better.

I know that even if the balance of probablility leans towards them appearing to be the same person, it isn't enough to decide that it definitely is him for my records, but as I am at a dead end for his fate after a long period of searching, any clue is a clue worth looking at.

I'm also 'too close' to the problem if you know what I mean. There's always a danger of seeing something one wants to see, rather than what may actually be there when personally involved. Hence my request for the objective views of others who have no personal tie to him.

Thanks for you input,
Regards Eliza.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 14 03:39 BST (UK) »
A relative of mine served in WW 1 and WW 2 and his records are together. Do you have his service number and we might be able to look at his records for WW1 to see if there is a clue. I will have a look if you give me his service number and next of kin Thanks Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 June 14 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn,

Have sent pm.

Regards Eliza.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 June 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
I think you may have a match there.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 June 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Unbiased I also think his nose, eyebrows and ears are very similar

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 June 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
It's a yes from me, too!!
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"