Author Topic: Cretingham Windmill (Post Mill)  (Read 4050 times)

Offline suffolkboy_

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cretingham Windmill (Post Mill)
« on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a site in Debenham with the stump of the former Debenham Tower Mill on it. I've done some research and found loads of information (over 30 photos and some reports and lists of millers); it's been so interesting!

Finding out about Debenham Tower Mill has made me intrigued about Cretingham Post Mill as the site sits on the edge of my family's land.

I've looked around on the internet and in various books but can't seem to find much about it at all. All I know is that it was built in 1837. After that there seems to be no record of it, or when it was demolished. I seem to remember an elderly gentleman (who has since died) telling me that he thought it was bomb damaged in WW2 and then demoished soon after.

Any information about it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cretingham Windmill (Post Mill)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
There's a notice in the Ipswich journal dated 17 Mar 1877 about a forthcoming sale of "the Entire Machinery" arising from taking down the mill. This included two pairs of sails and three pairs of four foot French stones. The sale was to take place on 23rd March. The notice said it was to take place at the mill immediately after the sale of Mr Cooper's furniture by the direction of the Devisees of the late Charles Austin esq. So it looks like Mr Cooper and Mr Austin are connected to the mill - miller / owner??
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline suffolkboy_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Thankyou so much for taking the time to look this up.

What you have found makes some sense. The Austin family lived in the village until about 30 years ago. In the mid 1800s i believe they owned a lot of property in and around the village. In the pub in the next village they have an old auction listing selling off much of the Austin's estate, including many acres of land and 2 (maybe 3) farms.

It seems like the mill wasn't standing for very long then, maybe only 40 years or less.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Just had a browse through 1871 census for Cretingham, listed as millers are Isaac A Smith age 50 b Ipswich and Absolom Myson age 25 b Boyton, Suffolk. Absolom is listed as Isaac's son, but I think it must mean step son. Also listed is Isaac's wife - Mary Ann Smith age 48 and  Grace Smith (daughter) age 10.
The census doesn't actually say Cretingham Mill, address is given as Ipswich Lane Cretingham.

What is really strange is that I first looked at this post because my husband's maternal line are connected to mills in Suffolk, but he has Mysons in his paternal line who we've now found also originally came from Suffolk.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline suffolkboy_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Lizzie.

One thing to bear in mind is there was also a tower mill in Cretingham (on the edge of the boundary of Earl Soham I believe). Again I don't have any information on this except it was built in 1834.

On a side note, if anyone has any information on Debenham Tower Mill i would be very appreciative. I have already found out a lot, but there mut still be information I've missed.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
The address immediately after Isaac Smith  in Ipswich Lane was in Ashfield road, if that makes it easier to pinpoint which mill.

Offline suffolkboy_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
That sounds like an address close to the Tower Mill to me.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 14 23:38 BST (UK) »
The Austin family also lived at Brandeston Hall, very close to the border with Cretingham. Our friend's farm is on the boundary, back door in Cretingham and front door in Brandeston  ::)

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Isaac Smith the miller is also in Cretingham in 1861. Here the address is Brandeston Road