Author Topic: Risbridgers - 1700s in Cuckfield or Horsham  (Read 648 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Risbridgers - 1700s in Cuckfield or Horsham
« on: Friday 27 June 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any Risbridger in their tree from either Cuckfield or Horsham in the 1700s.

I have an Edward Risbridger who died and was buried in Horley, Surrey in 1838.  The burial says he was 73 so I have been searching for a few years for an Edward in Surrey born 1765 for ages with no luck.

A recent contact through SFHG suggested trying Horsham as there were known to be Risbridgers there and lo and behold this morning I found Edward Risbridger baptised 26 May 1765 to Robert and Sarah at Horsham.

I have searched for marriages and burials for this Edward in Sussex and found none suggesting he could well be mine.

The marriage of his parents appears to be
Robert Risbridge and Sarah Jupp on 27 July 1759 at Cuckfield.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any of these Sussex people in their tree and can say whether or not the Edward could well be mine or whether they know that it is not! 

I'm just off to check an atlas and see how far Horsham is from Horley!

Thanks

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Risbridgers - 1700s in Cuckfield or Horsham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
I don't know if any of the following burials are of interest?
Source: SFHG
St Mary, Horsham, Sussex:-
16/01/1772, Edward RISBRIDGER, aged 85
12/04/1798, Sarah RISBRIDGER, no age at death recorded
22/11/1846, Edward RISBRIDGER, no age at death recorded
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Victor, I have the two Edwards but not the Sarah. :)

There seem to be a Robert and Sarah (Jupp) and Edward and Sarah (Cheesman) married and having children in Horsham around the same time.  Bet Robert and Edward are related.  Haha.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
No Risbridge in the pre 1699 register for Cuckfield but dozens of Jupps if you prove it is that marriage.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:12 BST (UK) »
The only baptism in Cuckfield seems to be 03/08/1648 Mary dau Edward and Elizabeth RISBRIDGER.  That does not show in the printed book index but is on the CD.  No burials and the only marriage is the Jupp one.  Witnesses Walter and John Stammer but they seem to show up regularly.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:50 BST (UK) »
Interesting that having looked at the entry in the book for that baptism in 1658 it gives the surname as Besbridge.    An easy mistranscription and worth bearing in mind.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 June 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sillgen for the information.  Another surname to look for as well.  A few generations later they became Rusbridge so it is a bit of a nightmare name.  Risbridger however seems to exist in Surrey in the 1500s.