Author Topic: The Sharman's of Apethorpe & Barrowden - Are they the same family?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Billyplanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Sharman's of Apethorpe & Barrowden - Are they the same family?
« on: Friday 27 June 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
The first Sharman I can trace that was born in Apethorpe is Sarah in 1797, followed by Mary 1798, Anne 1800, Margaret 1802, Thomas 1804 and finally William 1807. Does anyone have them in their tree as I am trying to identify them as the children of Thomas Sharman who was from Barrowden & Mary French who married in Nassington in 1793? Barrowden Rutland is only 4 miles from Apethorpe but rather than an educated guess, it would be great to prove the Apethorpe Sharman's did come from Barrowden. Many thanks

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Sharman's of Apethorpe & Barrowden - Are they the same family?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to RootsChat!

If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it under "Your Tools" at the bottom of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
One possible way would be to look at the original PR's and/or BT's, in the hope that an occupation is listed for Thomas. If Thomas of Barrowden has the same occupation as Thomas of Apethorpe, it goes a long way to linking them up. Of course, it only works if an ancestor wasn't an ag lab or such.  :)
Wills are another way to link families.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Billyplanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I'll check both suggestions out.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 14 02:58 BST (UK) »
Something else that may help is to document all mentions of the surname Sharman in the area, put them into family groups, and using a process of elimination, see how what you know about the family fits in.

For example if there are no other Sharmans in the areas in question, then it is likely that it is your family in both Barrowden/Apethorpe.

You will need to check the parish registers for all mentions of the Sharman surname (and probably variants) - ie. births, deaths and marriages.

This works best with the less common surnames, and can be virtually impossible if the area is flooded with the surname, but just something that may help.  :-\

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 June 14 05:11 BST (UK) »
Just a thought .... Would anyone agree that this thread would be better on the appropriate county board. Rutland? Northhamptonshire?
I think the Northamptonshire board is more popular so your thread might get more attention there.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 14 06:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, and no, Ruskie. As much as it about a particular area, the question is more of a general one regarding how to go about something.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 June 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, and no, Ruskie. As much as it about a particular area, the question is more of a general one regarding how to go about something.

That is fair enough pinefamily.  :)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All.

Billyplanb there are a couple more baptisms at Apethorpe from the Northants Baptisms Indexes

Apethorpe C of E
02 Dec 1794
Elizabeth SHARMAN d of Thomas & Mary

Apethorpe C of E
08 Mar 1796
Mary SHARMAN d of Thomas & Mary

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright