Author Topic: court appearances  (Read 4502 times)

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
court appearances
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello , sometime ago I remember accessing a site whereby I remember seeing an ancestor of mine in what I think was Exeter Assizes . I cant think for the life of me how I went about it ? Any ideas would be much appreciated , thank you .
Regards
Alan

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: court appearances
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it would appear in a newspaper report. What was his name and the rough date?

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hello , his name was Richard Prout and I think it was for receiving stolen goods , meat I think . I think it was in the 1880's  but could be wrong though .
Regards
Alan

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

From the records on Anc* the date of the trial was 30 June 1868 for receiving stolen goods, and he was acquitted.

I can't find any reference to the trial in the records I can access, but this subscription based website
does seem to have some reference to the trial.

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you , thats great , I will take a look .
Regards
Alan

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 June 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Richard Prout is innocent!
From the Western Times, 16-6-1868:

George Dunbar, a French polisher, in the employ of Mr. James Champion, was charged with stealing a pair of boots and a pair of stockings, the property of his master. Richard Prout, a tramp, was charged with aiding and abetting...................shortly afterwards a woman named Tapper bought the boots of Prout for 3s. 6d. .............

From the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, 3-7-1868:

George Dunbar, 35, painter, and Richard Prout, 59, blacksmith, were indicted for having, on the 12th June, at West Teignmouth, stolen a pair of boots and a pair of stockings, the property of James Champion. Mr. Gulson prosecuted, the prisoner was undefended. The elder prisoner was found endeavouring to sell the boots, and was given into custody. Prout said Dunbar gave him the boots to sell for him. Dunbar denied this. The stockings were found close to Dunbar at the police station, where both prisoners had been removed. The jury found Dunbar guilty and Prout not guilty. Dunbar pleaded guilty to a previous conviction for felony in 1865. He was sentenced to eight months imprisonment with hard labour.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that , I have never seen that one before . Not sure its our Richard as he was a farm labourer at Chittlehampton . I seem to remember it being a joint of meat for some reason but maybe I am mistaken .
Many thanks
Alan

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 June 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
Sounds like the same man?

North Devon Journal 20-10-1870:

Barnstaple

STEALING PORK. - Richard Prout, a tramp, was brought before Mr, G. E. Kingson, and Mr. J. G. Hiern, justices, at the Guildhall, yesterday, charged with stealing on the 14th inst., in the parish of Braunton, a piece of pork, weighing 2 1/2 lbs., of the value of 1s. 8d., the property of Mr. John Drake, butcher. - The prisoner was apprehended yesterday by Sergeant Quick as a rogue and vagabond, and on being searched the meat was found in his possession. The officer suspecting that it had been stolen, took it to the prosecutor who recognised it as having been cut off a large piece of pork which he had in his shop. - The magistrates committed the prisoner to gaol for 21 days.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 June 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
Oh dear ! thank you for that . There were 2 Richard Prouts  , one in North Molton and mine in South Molton/Chittlehampton  . I will look on 1871 census and see if any clues .
Thanks again
Alan