Author Topic: St Cuthbert Billingham for ADAMSON please  (Read 3607 times)

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Cuthbert Billingham for ADAMSON please
« on: Monday 30 June 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

I'm looking for information on the family of Thomas Adamson.

From IGI - He was married 19 Nov 1802 Billingham to Ann Chambers

They had children -

George b 16 Oct 1803 bp 26 Dec 1803 Billingham

Mary b 5 Dec 1805 bp 1 Jan 1806

Eleanor b 23 Sept 1807 bp 1 Jan 1808

Thomas b 29 May 1809 bp 1 Jan 1810

John b 13 April 1812 bp 22 Nov 1812

Jane bp 14 Jan 1816

I'm descended from Ann Adamson b 1799 - 1801 (C41, 51, 61) Billingham
married Robert Knaggs 17 May 1823 Billingham

and Elizabeth Adamson b 1796 - 1798 (C41, 51, 61) Billingham
married William Madderson 24 May 1825 Billingham

and trying to find a link with the above family of Thomas Adamson and can find no baptism record for Ann or Elizabeth.

There was a marriage of Thomas Adamson to Elizabeth Fairbarns 14 May 1794 Billingham and they had a son baptised William 14 June 1795

So I wondered if there was any mention in the parish records of Thomas Adamson being a widower when he married Ann Chambers? And when their children were baptised whether it mentioned 1st son, 2nd daughter etc?

There are links between my Maddersons and the family of John Adamson b 1812 Billingham "cousin" on census etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Carole

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Cuthbert Billingham for ADAMSON please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
The problem you have is that Billingham parish records are not on the IGI or the browsable records on familysearch so you will need to go to somewhere that has the records such as the Durham records office or a LDS family history centre that may be able to order them for a fee.

The marriage is not on www.freereg.org.uk or durhamrecordsonline.co.uk. However it is on the Joiner Marriage Index (they want £2.29 for a transcript of the details) which may give more information.

http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/

The Cleveland FHS has burials to 1812 but does not have marriages or baptisms

I did look at trees publicly available but there was nothing on them to tie Thomas Adamson to Ann and Elizabeth (although they were all a bit vague)

(The transcript of the marriage is on findmypast but they have done something weird as Ann does not appear on the same page as Thomas and they give very few details so not worth looking at in my opinion)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi davidft

Thank you for your reply  :)

Just tried the Joiner marriage index link you posted and it just gave the same details I got from the IGI index - Thomas Adamson m Ann Chambers 19 Nov 1802 Billingham  :( nothing else.

I don't live in England to visit DRO so that was why I posted a look up request in case the marriage/baptism records would give a clue to a link between the family of Thomas Adamson and my Adamsons from Billingham. Witnesses, 1st child, a previous marriage etc.

Carole

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi davidft

Thank you for your reply  :)

Just tried the Joiner marriage index link you posted and it just gave the same details I got from the IGI index - Thomas Adamson m Ann Chambers 19 Nov 1802 Billingham  :( nothing else.

I don't live in England to visit DRO so that was why I posted a look up request in case the marriage/baptism records would give a clue to a link between the family of Thomas Adamson and my Adamsons from Billingham. Witnesses, 1st child, a previous marriage etc.

Carole

If the Joiner marriage index does not give further details then I suspect there are none, going by my previous use of that index.

Someone may still see your post and if going to DRO be able to do a lookup for you (I am at the wrong end of the country for that). Good luck
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Davidft  :)

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole, I don't know if you are still seeking this information but I am going to DRO tomorrow so will see what I can find

Nannawilk

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole, I don't know if you are still seeking this information but I am going to DRO tomorrow so will see what I can find

Nannawilk

Hi Nannawilk :)

Yes I'm still seeking information on Thomas Adamson and his family. Thank you so much for your offer.

Carole

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

All Thomas ADAMSON and Ann CHAMBERS children have birthdates and baptisms as shown on IGI.

George ADAMSON 1st son of Thomas ADAMSON, labourer native of Redmarshall, by his second wife Ann CHAMBERS, native of Houghton le Spring

Mary, 1st dau, details as above

Eleanor, 2nd dau, details as above

Thomas, 2nd son, details as above

John, 3rd son, details as above

Jane dau. of Thomas and Ann ADAMSON late CHAMBERS, Farmer and Innkeeper, Billingham

The marriage between Thomas and Ann 19/11/1802 gives no indication as to widow or bachelor. Both left their mark and witnesses were William Holborn, Mary Atkins and Mary Marshall.

Witnesses to the marriage of Thomas and Elizabeth FAIRBARN 14/5/1794 were James Adamson and Mark William Warton, Parish clerk

I'm afraid I couldn't find baptisms for Ann or Elizabeth Adamson

This could be relevant though - Ann natural daughter of Ann CHAMBERS was born and privately baptized 16th May 1796, Billingham

There are two children of Robert ADAMSON, fellmonger,  and Grace (nee HEADLAM) - John born 10/10/1797 and privately bapt. 24/10/1797 and Mary bapt 6/10/1799

There is Elizabeth ADAMSON born 21/2/1811, bapt. 26/5/1811 illegitimate dau. of Ann ADAMSON of Redmarshall - I guess this is too late for the Elizabeth you wanted.

Witnesses to the marriage of Robert KNAGGS and Ann ADAMSON 17/5/1823 were John Holburn, George Adamson and Elizabeth Adamson

Witnesses to the marriage of William MADDERSON and Elizabeth ADAMSON 24/5/1825 were George Adamson and Thomas Madderson

Finally Elizabeth ADAMSON of Billingham, late FAIRBARN wife of Thomas ADAMSON, labourer, died 7/9/1801, buried 9/9/1801, aged 31 (or 37) Billingham

I'm sorry I couldn't find the two you were most interested in but hope this helps a bit

Nannawilk

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the information Nannawilk!

It will take me a while to take it all in! You have confirmed that Thomas Adamson's wife Elizabeth nee Fairbarn died in 1801 prior to the date of the possible second marriage and that Ann Chambers was a second wife.

Also the entry for Ann daughter of Ann Chambers is very interesting. I had found a baptism for Thomas Adamson 14 June 1770 St Cuthberts, Redmarshall (of Carlton) son of George Adamson and Ann Carter. Thomas Adamson and Ann Chambers had no daughter Ann listed despite it being his mother's and wife's name although I know it's not proof and an Ann might not have made it to baptism.

Thank you the details of witnesses too.

Carole