Author Topic: Stokes Bridge - again  (Read 549 times)

Offline John Batts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Stokes Bridge - again
« on: Monday 07 July 14 16:20 BST (UK) »
There were several suggestions about the origins of the phrase Stokes Bridge in 2008, but I have found nothing further. Since my family also used that phrase for the moment when one was feeling unable to eat the whole meal, and being especially interested that some of the users recalled that phrase being used in Herefordshire, my curiosity was peeked.  Was there a definite & near-agreed explanation ever posted as to where Stokes' Bridge was (assuming it was indeed a real place as opposed to, say, a literary allusion )?  -- Breconian.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Stokes Bridge - again
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
Saw this www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=691897.0 from 2010. Not sure if things have moved on much from there online. However, a new post and new fresh eyes from everyone always helps  ::)  ;)

Monica

PS: Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kuaka

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 03:17 BST (UK) »
My father b 1906 in Herefordshire used  "I've reached Stokes's Bridge" to indicate that he had had enough to eat. I have always wondered where the bridge was/is situated....

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Father in law - bn mid 1930s in Shropshire would use the term Stokes Bridge to suggest that one was too full to eat anymore.