Author Topic: Staffordshire records released  (Read 11291 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire records released
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 19 July 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Wrjones, have you seen the 1788 Daniel Doorbar on familysearch? May be a bit lit for your Daniel Durber, but could be worth a look.

Hi, think I might just have had a Eureka moment!

Don't know what drew me to this thread really except that I do have a Staffordshire line but reading this quote in particular put me in mind of my brickwall in Gloucestershire - namely a Sarah Doerbar born c. 1812 Tewkesbury.

Have struggled to come up with other variations of Doerbar but then saw Doorbar in the response above and that led me to a familysearch query for female baptisms for surnames beginning with D in 1812 in Tewkesbury and came up with Sarah Deberux bapt 8/1/1812 Tewkesbury.  The more I say this the more it seems like it could be converted to Doerbar by the time of her marriage in 1832 in Burslem, Staffs.

Don't know why I haven't thought this before - its so simple.  Am away down this route now to see if I can find anything more concrete to cement this extrapolation!

Thanks, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 19 July 14 15:23 BST (UK) »
Good luck Pheno. Hope it turns out that your eureka moment pays off :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 19 July 14 18:29 BST (UK) »
Wrjones, have you seen the 1788 Daniel Doorbar on familysearch? May be a bit lit for your Daniel Durber, but could be worth a look.

Hi, think I might just have had a Eureka moment!

Don't know what drew me to this thread really except that I do have a Staffordshire line but reading this quote in particular put me in mind of my brickwall in Gloucestershire - namely a Sarah Doerbar born c. 1812 Tewkesbury.

Have struggled to come up with other variations of Doerbar but then saw Doorbar in the response above and that led me to a familysearch query for female baptisms for surnames beginning with D in 1812 in Tewkesbury and came up with Sarah Deberux bapt 8/1/1812 Tewkesbury.  The more I say this the more it seems like it could be converted to Doerbar by the time of her marriage in 1832 in Burslem, Staffs.

Don't know why I haven't thought this before - its so simple.  Am away down this route now to see if I can find anything more concrete to cement this extrapolation!

Thanks, Pheno

Well Pheno,though the Durber(sic) families origins do appear to be in Staffordshire,there was a Philip Durber who lived both in Gloucestershire and Staffordshire.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 19 July 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi William, I've changed my mind and now think, having actually seen the 1832 marriage record on FindMyPast that she is a Doorbar and not Doerbar or Deberux.  Also think the Tewkesbury birthplace is an anomaly as there is a Doorbar family living in Biddulph Staffs with all the right people including both a Margaret & a Sarah Doorbar of the right age.  Now that I've actually seen the 1832 entry I know that one of the witnesses was a Margaret Doorbar.  Everybody else in this family seems to have been born Biddulph and it is only Sarah who consistently on every census records her birthplace as Tewkesbury.  I think maybe her mother was there when she was born but it was not the place she was brought up - so am now following this line which is providing plenty of leads.

However still major thanks to the availability of the Staffs records now on line and your Doorbar reference.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 24 July 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
Be aware that some marriage records may be indexed to the Banns set and if you are entering a parent or spouse name it must match exactly what is on the record to get a hit. I find the best way to search is surname only with variation and then look at likely parishes or select the parish if you know it.  Its more time consuming but I find folk I missed when I searched with more info.
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 28 July 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Well I'm researching my West Bromwich ancestors, and naively assumed that the new Find My Past records had good coverage of the town. Partly because my lot show up well from the 1830s onwards. But I now see they are missing All Saints parish, which seems to have been a really important one for covering West Bromwich births/marriages/deaths before about 1820. So I've just sent FindMyPast a query to ask if they plan to add it in future. I suspect my lot are recorded in that parish before then, and have already found a probable marriage there for one branch in 1805 from Ancestry indexes.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 28 July 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
According to the blurb on FindMyPast - in the 100 in 100 days section you will see that they have so far uploaded only about a third of the 6 million parish records.  This was confirmed to me on my last visit to Lichfield Records Office.

Also to be uploaded in the future are Marriage Bonds and Allegations, plus wills.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 28 July 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
According to the blurb on FindMyPast - in the 100 in 100 days section you will see that they have so far uploaded only about a third of the 6 million parish records.  This was confirmed to me on my last visit to Lichfield Records Office.

Also to be uploaded in the future are Marriage Bonds and Allegations, plus wills.

Thanks very much for that. In my eagerness I'd missed those numbers and exactly what they meant. So I can look forward to finding more records in future. I'm not a FindMyPast subscriber, just currently trying a free trial for a fortnight, but will subscribe for a month or so in the future after they add more records I need.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 July 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
Well I'm researching my West Bromwich ancestors, and naively assumed that the new Find My Past records had good coverage of the town.

Depending on whether this is still correct - http://www.rootschat.com/links/0193r/ - you may unfortunately be out of luck because it looks like West Bromwich All Saints original records are not held by Staffordshire Archives so are unlikely to be included. :-\

I see from the genuki page that Lichfield Archives have the Bishops Transcripts so it's possible they may get digitised.

On a plus note, glad to hear they are digitising Wills since may help with a couple of Warwickshire lines. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day