Author Topic: Staffordshire records released  (Read 11248 times)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire records released
« Reply #54 on: Monday 28 July 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
www.freereg.org.uk

Have you looked at the staffs county page and selected w for west brom and scrolled down to see the coverage for all saints which has been done and is in progress. There is no update this month to records due to trying out new servers but will be about 18 aug. You may be able to answer some of your own questions. The other church to consider is Christ church 1829 is when the register starts. Only an archway left now. There used to be a burial it was opposite me when I first moved to west brom.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 28 July 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
www.freereg.org.uk

Have you looked at the staffs county page and selected w for west brom and scrolled down to see the coverage for all saints which has been done and is in progress. There is no update this month to records due to trying out new servers but will be about 18 aug. You may be able to answer some of your own questions. The other church to consider is Christ church 1829 is when the register starts. Only an archway left now. There used to be a burial it was opposite me when I first moved to west brom.

Thanks. My ancestors definitely show up in Christ Church, as I've found from Find My Past's parish register images and indexes. But the FreeReg coverage of West Bromwich All Saints is too limited for me at the moment. I am looking mainly for a number of baptisms between 1780 and the 1820s, and there are only All Saints baptisms in FreeReg so far from that period for 1813-1816. So yes it should improve in time, but isn't helping me much at the moment.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Just got a reply from FindMyPast. They can't confirm whether the West Bromwich parish I need will be added in future, but they have referred me to

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/collections/DigitisationProject/DigitisationProject.aspx

which gives more detail including rough numbers for parish registers, wills and other things to be added over the time-scale of the project.

That's still not very clear for me re West Bromwich All Saints PRs, though the key relevant quote is "However, the project does not cover any registers held by other archive services or those retained by the parishes themselves."

I suspect that means All Saints original registers won't be added, but I don't know if e.g. the Bishop's Transcripts held at Lichfield will be.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Yes I don't think they intend to put all saints registers on because they are held at west brom not Stafford. To me it means they are only working from Stafford. Don't know about transcripts.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
I'll double-check tomorrow when I go to Lichfield, but I think weste is correct in that they are uploading only those records in the current "Staffordshire" Archives.

In the same way that only the current West Yorkshire records are uploaded on Ancestry not the old West Riding records (which is b.....y annoying for me)  :(
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
Definetly agree with the Yorkshire records Bumbleb , but got my eye on the centre for catholic records which as my grandfather's mother was catholic it's worth pursuit in the future! Need a trip! Won't ever know her maiden name probably as not married to his father and she's only on census. Also there was a surname change of his father.