Author Topic: WHITE-LE-HEAD  (Read 3849 times)

Offline FredRogers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHITE-LE-HEAD
« on: Wednesday 23 July 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have much knowledge of the history of White-le-Head .My great grandfather was born here and was living at Magdsons Row in 1881 and at 5 Chapel Row in 1891 .It appears that Chapel row they were next to a Primitive Church .Does anyone know approx the location of these homes and much about White le Head at the time he lived there.
Thank You

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WHITE-LE-HEAD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Not much on GenUKI unfortunately?!
Except that Whit-le-Head was part of Tanfield parish

http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/pjoiner/genuki/DUR/Tanfield/index.html
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
Why not send a message to the church to see if they have any information

http://www.northwestdurhammethodists.org.uk/whiteleheadmethodistchurch.htm

Heather

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
It is actually called Whitley Head on the 19th Century maps, it is first called White-le-Head on the 1919 map.. You can see it on the old maps at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=417152,554462 the Methodist Chapel (primitive) is marked on the 1:2500 maps, and appears to have been moved from its original position.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
You can see the entry for Tanfield Moor Colliery, Whitely Head, at http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/t011.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FredRogers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your information so far Stan ,Heather and K Garrad

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 October 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

I don't know how much info you have managed to get by now, but the Methodist Chapel people should be able to help.  If I recall correctly, that church is not the original White-le-Head Methodist Chapel.  I have tried to attach an 1896 map, but the file was too large.  The area your family would be in is near what is called The Fold.  That's where all the miner's cottages for Willy Pit (Tanfield Moor Colliery) were.  Madgson's Row and Curry's Buildings were up there.

You can't go by Google maps street view, which doesn't understand the way terraced houses are named.  West Road, the main road in White-le-Head has many sets of terraced houses, such as Worley Terrace.  If you open up the street view on Google Maps and look halfway up the older buildings, the ones which would have originally been end units will still have the plaque with the street name set into the brick work.  Should be one on either end, but sometimes the end units will have been demolished.

At the time our families would have been in White-le-Head, the village wouldn't have gone much further east than the Bird, where my great grandfather occasionally drank.  Neither the Bird or the Wagon Inn are still operational, but the Wagon Inn building is being renovated in the current street view.  It looks like the Bird has been replaced. If you are orienting yourself, both the Commercial and the Oak Tree are still operational.  The Methodist chapel in Tantobie is now a private home.

I can't find a map that has street names for White-le-Head, but you can usually make out pretty well by trying to follow the route that the census taker would have followed, and counting the number of houses.  You can see the The Fold had 4 houses.  What will throw you is things like "New Row" which is usually a set of row houses that has not yet been named, as in 1891. 

Anyway, the area where your people were is no longer miner's houses, but there are a couple of businesses in that area which may be able to help.  One is Frankie's motor works, and the other is White-le-Head cottages.  The cottages are rental cottages, and they may know about the history.  I was surprised that street map didn't actually go into that area, because it looks like some of the original buildings are still there.  Sometimes, when a pit closes, or there is subsidence of the land surrounding the mines, entire rows of houses, or all of the pit buildings will just be razed.  Sometimes the buildings are replaced, sometimes they are just turned to fields, or become part of reclamation projects.

I find it is also helpful to keep a satellite view open, as you can frequently see from the aerial shot where the old railway lines went, or just how many streets and pit heads have disappeared.  I actually found it slightly depressing looking at the aerials of White-le-Head tonight.  Streets that I remember have gone, and I am not that old.  On a positive note, though, I went on street view and there was an ice cream truck from the same firm that used to come around when I was young. 

Hope some of this helps.  Here is a link to a map site that I like. 

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/417116/558678/12/100615

Also, this site has some great maps and isn't as sensitive:

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/Durham_Region

Cheers!

Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven