Author Topic: Thomas Warner - Help with ideas for where to look for more information please  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,
I have having another crack at finding out more about my 5 x Great Grandfather Thomas Warner.

The oldest information I have is his marriage in 1779 as follows:

St.Mary’s Parish Church.
Hinckley.
Parish Registers read thus :~

Anno Domini :~ 1779.

Entry No’. 196.

Thomas Warner of this Parish. .Bachelor.
Ann Ward of the Parish of Coleorton in the County of Leicestershire. Spinster.

Married in this Church by Licence
This Twenty eight Day of July.
One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy nine.
By Me :~ H Gutteridge. …Vicar..

Both signed by their own signatures.

In the Presence of :~
Edward Toon..
Samuel Mersey Church Clark ? signed several Registers . …

Extra Information via the Affidavit :~ .

Approved & Granted. ….26th. July 1779.

WARNER Thomas. Labourer Hinckley..
Bachelor. Aged. 21.

WARD Ann. Aged. 21. Spinster of Coleorton.
in the County of Leicestershire.

Securer of the £ 200. Bond
Edward Toon Brick maker of Hinckley...

I know they lived in Coleorton when their Daughter Jane was born in 1782
Three other children followed; John 1784 - 1858, Dorothy (died in Childhood), Isacc 1789 to 1856

I am unable to locate where Thomas was born circa 1758ish +/- and I also feel that they likely had other children somewhere, maybe Hinckley between 1779 and 1782 and possible after1789 somewhere else. There is a death in Swannington (Whitwick) of a Thomas Warner in 1838 aged 85 but as this gives a different birth year (1752) I am not at all sure this is the correct one or what happened to his wife Ann or if she died earlier etc and hi might have remarried (conjecture).

So really I am looking for suggestions as to where I might look to find any other possible references that might help me pin down their movements, other possible children and birth/baptism records.

Thanks for any help given - Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Warner - Help with ideas for where to look for more information please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Going to be brave here, there is a John and Dorothy having children baptised at Whitwick St John, but no Thomas, they do name 2 children Isaac and Dorothy, last baptism being 1755 for their family; there's a gap between 1750 and 1755

There is a John Warner buried in Swannington too, 31st May 1829 age 87
and only have this
Dorothy Warner  Burial 20 Sep 1757

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Warner - Help with ideas for where to look for more information please
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 July 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
I like this one

service records    Coloutonmoor ......Coleorton

There's some service records 1783 for an Edward Toon, Ashby de la Zouch. Was looking round names for parishes
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Willsy,
That is some interesting information. The use of the names Dorothy and Isaac do suggest a strong possibility of family connection. Isaac was a name used for over 100 year in my family. There is possibility also that the John Warner death mentioned could be a brother or half brother of Thomas.
I am  not sure what the service records are that you mention for Edward Toon? Although I also suspect a connection for Ashby de la Zouche also.

Thank you for this info  :) Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 July 14 07:00 BST (UK) »
Oh yes sorry, army records
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Willsy,

Checking my previous notes this morning I see I also have names for a number of children possibly born to a Dorothy Bond and John Warner in the Swanington, Whitwick, Coleorton, Ashby area and also a possible previous marriage for John Warner to a Hannah Durrat. As you say though there is a gap where I would expect a "Thomas Warner" birth/baptism to be. This possibles I have around this time are:
Mother Possibly Hannah
1740 Elizabeth
1743 Hannah
Mother possibly Dorothy
1744 John
1745 Mary
1750 Isaac
1773 Abraham
1755 Dorothy
1758 Elizabeth
1762 Anne
1764 Joseph
I pulled these names and a rough family grouping out of the IGI a number of years ago on a general "catch all" sweep for Warners are this area, but the IGI has changed and I can no longer find these records. I wrote down that the dates were Batisms so the births may or may not be close to these dates. So My Thomas, if the Marriage License is correct was born at latest 1758 and from the Death record, the earliest is 1752, but as the Marriage details say his parish is Hinckley then this family may be nothing to do with him....hmmm around in circles :)

Thanks you - Mark

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 July 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Have the same conundrum with my Moore's in much the same area. Numerous amounts of Thomas/Hannah/Joseph, thank goodness for adult baptisms and have to prove back from there. The vicar was good at Nailstone and marked 2 sons to my main branch!

Can help or recheck for Ashby and Whitwick if anything else comes up as I see there are poss marriages for the children.
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 July 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Willsy , as said any help is gratefully received. BTW I also have a line of Leicestershire  Moore (s) in my family. Let me know if you want to know more (excuse the pun) ATB - Mark

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 July 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Mine originate in Nailstone and later into the city, via Whitwick/Thringstone/Barton, but trying to sort out Hannah Whene and Thomas Moore who marry 1765 in Nailstone and most of the children are baptised as adults, thread for another day perhaps as it all branches out from there :)

Love to know more!
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire