Author Topic: Accessing parish records for Aberffraw  (Read 4179 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Accessing parish records for Aberffraw
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
Please can someone advise me how/where I can access parish records for Aberffraw?  There is an Owen/Jones (groan ::) ) marriage in 1780 that I need to check out -- ideally, to view it for myself (or an online photocopy of the entry, rather -- I live in Texas!) or, at a minimum, to have a trustworthy absolutely verbatim record of the text.  I know that Ancestry and FindMyPast don't have such records. ???  Would appreciate any and all assistance in locating them.

Also, a more general question about parish records: does anyone know, please, how long it was necessary for parties to be living in a parish before they would be described in a parish marriage entry as being "of this parish".

Many thanks.

CELTIC ANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing parish records for Aberffraw
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
 :o  :o :o :o
Ooooooooh -- scrub that, everyone; turns out FindMyPast does have the record after all!  (Couldn't find it when I searched on there directly, but I 'back-doored' it by going in via searching the IGI).

Would still appreciate any help re how long you had to live in parish before you would be described as being 'of this parish', though.

Male party to my marriage is described as a 'singleman' (all one word) -- assume this was an early way of describing a bachelor?

CELTIC ANNIE
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
Anglesey archives should be able to help you about your kin you can get their contact address from the Anglesey county Council website
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Would still appreciate any help re how long you had to live in parish before you would be described as being 'of this parish', though.

"Of this parish" simply means that was where they were living while the Banns were called!
Usually 3 weeks minimum.

Banns were, and still are, called on 3 successive Sundays, allowing a marriage after that.
So, in practice, probably 4 weeks?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing parish records for Aberffraw -- completed, with thanks!
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help -- much appreciated; although it turns out, in the event, that they were married by licence, for some reason.  But both parties nevertheless described as 'of this parish'. Am swithering about investigating whether the allegation is still available and trying to get a copy of that. Not convinced that this Owens/Jones marriage is "mine"; but another researcher of this line is, and so I need to research it.  Unfortunately, am not even sure of date of marriage -- just guesstimating it from time they started to produce children -- and even when the couple's forenames are included, I'm stuck with looking at quite a few marriages. ???  Ah well -- something to get my teeth into!

Thanks again for your help.

CELTIC ANNIE