Author Topic: Gateley  (Read 7123 times)

Offline dilosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gateley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 October 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi JP, I came across this post while researching the descendants of my 4xGGF George Ravenscroft (1765-1829) Constance is my 2nd cousin 3x removed, which I believe would make you my 4th cousin once removed.  I am a descendant of George R seniors son George born in 1804 and if I have the details right you are a descendent of his son Samuel  (1815-1975).  I hope to hear back from you but appreciate that this is a follow on from a 3 year old post.    I would love to resolve the mystery of Selina Ravenscroft - did she exist?  Supposedly she was a daughter of George senior and his second wife Anne Warry but the dates don't stack up.  Do you know anything about her?

Offline jpgateley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
Fascinating that you've identified me as a fourth cousin.
As for your request concerning Selina Ravenscroft, I cannot be of any help, seeing that my knowledge of my grandmother Constance's family back in England is non-existent - or was until your message.
John Gateley

Offline dilosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 November 19 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for your reply, I always appreciate making the connection.  My 3XGGF George Ravenscroft (Samuel Ravenscroft's brother) left England in the around 1824, spent some time on St Helena Island where some of his children were born and then settled in the Cape (South Africa).  He had a large family and many of his descendants are still living there.  I moved to the UK in the 1990s and settled in Scotland this year.

Where are you based?

I knew a great deal about the South African Ravenscrofts and was curious what happened to the rest of my 4xGGF's children so set out to trace as many of his descendants as I could.  That's how I found you.  His two children from his first marriage both died in infancy, I have not had any luck tracing his son and daughter from his second marriage Thomas and Selina.  My 3XGGF was the eldest from this third marriage, Emma (1807-1893) was born and died in Reading and did not marry or have children,  William (1809-1888) also of Reading married Mary Ann Briant and had two sons  William (1848-1943) and Frederick (1850-1859).  Their next son Francis died young (1810-1818) and Samuel (1815-1875) your ancestors was their youngest son. 

I have done quite a lot of research on the family and would be happy to share it. 

Best wishes
Diane

Offline jpgateley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to have taken so long to respond. For the last five years, I've been enjoying my retirement in Cyprus after having lived and worked in Greece for forty-one years as an educational administrator and teacher. My father, Edgar Gateley was never very forthcoming when it came to his family history: I sensed this resulted from the 'riches to rags' experience his family suffered in India following his father's bankruptcy. The South African connection you report has possibly begun to explain why there are several photos of individuals from that country and a Durban postcard in an album I have inherited covering the period 1920 to 1950. Unfortunately, the album in question is stored in our Athens home, so specific names and other details will be forwarded to you next time I visit Greece. Until then, best wishes, John Gateley

Offline dilosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 February 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for getting back to me, I look forward to hearing more about what's in  your albums when you are next in Greece.

With Ancestry taking over Rootsweb they are planning to close the mailing lists and I  am not sure how much longer we are going to be able to stay in touch this way.

All the best
Diane

An article about the mailing lists
https://hayesgreene.blogspot.com/2020/01/rootsweb-genealogy-mailing-lists-to.html?spref=fb&fbclid=IwAR1odIHQn6ZPhBBjwrwR5UwyaDMWjerZc45Gcwz-NfJYJSc89Sn9YQeq5SA&m=1

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 February 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello dilosh,

RootsChat has no connection with rootsweb mailing lists or Ancestry, so you do not need to worry.

Regards

Sarah ;)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rollo Ravenscroft

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 August 21 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have complied a webpage on the Ravenscroft family in Southern Africa All the descendants from George Ravenscroft B 1804 in Reading who married Mary Anne Weller and moved to the Cape Colony after 1835 as his son David was born on Saint Helena in 1835.
View http://www.ravenscroft.za.net/indextree.html to see family tree of SA Ravenscrofts   and view
http://www.ravenscroft.za.net to view the webpage.