Author Topic: McCauley & Gill Families Moville  (Read 6864 times)

Offline sean mc cauley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley & Gill Families Moville
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
 I cannot reach you on tmc web design.If you wish to contact me at gulladuff, Moville I will return mail.

Offline Mighty Chin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 22:17 BST (UK) »
I cannot reach you on tmc web design.If you wish to contact me at gulladuff, Moville I will return mail.

I wouldn't have a clue how to contact you there.

You should be able to email those. Once you do I'll just edit this post to remove those emails.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sean mc cauley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 September 16 01:42 BST (UK) »
just add my name ,county, and Ireland and post with your email

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 10:23 BST (UK) »
Sean/ Jason, it's been a while.
Looking in to this line further for a couple of McCauley relatives in the US who are trying to trace their line back.
From the marriage record of Michael and Jane Hemphill we can see that Michaels Father is Bernard. We are exploring a theory that Bernard has a brother Thomas born around 1835 and who moved to the US and that their father may be also called Michael.
Is anyone aware of any local resources for birth Marriage and Deaths. Is anyone aware if their are the church records available. I can't seem to find anything on Family Search or Irish Genealogy as we are pre Civil record dates.
Sean are you from the Moville area or have I picked that up wrong.
Regards Mark
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 11:35 BST (UK) »
If the family were Catholic and from Moville then there are parish registers online (births, marriages & some deaths from 1847).
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0376
Unfortunately no earlier church records seem to survive-
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0376&parish=Moville

If Moville is not the correct parish you can use the first site to find other parishes.
If the family were not Catholic then you can use the 2nd site to see what records for other denominations might exist.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey, its been a while since i looked at the Irish records and I had completely forgotten about the National Library Records
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.

Offline breastroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 May 24 21:40 BST (UK) »
Both my brother and I have taken the FTDNA Big 700 test desperate after 40 years to find where in Ireland our "First American" Thomas McCauley. The US Census reports state my First American was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and Scots father. He was born about 1835 to 1840 in what was later called The Irish Free State.

Thomas immigrated about 1860 to Oyster Bay area of New York.
Our family oral history states Thomas McCauley was a fisherman or a member of the Irish Coast Guard. The family was Roman Catholic.

But until three days ago, I had zero idea where my Thomas was born. I first did DNA testing back in 2007, but since then I have done the BIG 700. Received a notice that my family DNA was very closely matched to families in Moville, Ireland and Greenock Scotland.

My question to the people here is, how do I get additional information for Bernard McCauley living in Moville between 1810 and 1870. I have tried the Irish census of 1851 but can't find him.

Offline breastroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 May 24 21:47 BST (UK) »
We believe Brenard and Thomas were brothers probably both born in Moville and to a Scotts father and a lovely Irish lady. The first born of both Bernard and Thomas were given the name Michael, so it might be possible to assume their Scottish father was named Michael. Where do I find baptismal records for the churches in Moville? Bernard's son Michael was born in 1856 and Thomas's Michael was born in the USA in 1864. Michael McCauley born in Moville in 1856 had a son Michael and his grandson Michael are all listed as seaman in the 1901 Irish census. Thomas McCauley living in Oyster Bay, New York was also a bayman (clam dealer) as were several of his sons. From looking at the Irish census results there are zero results from Donegal for the 1821, 1841 and 1851 as they were all burned.