Author Topic: 24/11/1915 William Gunn (34)Sergeant 3rd Field Am. Australian Army Medical Corps  (Read 1501 times)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Service No:      9
Date of Death:      24/11/1915
Regiment/Service:      Australian Army Medical Corps      3rd Field Amb.
Grave Reference:      Sp. Mem. 13.
Cemetery:      NO.2 OUTPOST CEMETERY GALLIPOLI

William Gunn     
birth:   12 April 1881   Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
parents:Jessie Gunn

Illegitimate son of Jessie Gunn raised by his grandparents David and Ann [Anderson] Gunn named as NOK on his Army papers.  (Jessie married Alexander Smith in Glasgow 12 November 1884 and had 3 children William's half-siblings Alexander, Mary-Ann and Catherine Elizabeth Paul Smith)

William Gunn enlisted in the Royal Army Medical Corps on 15/3/1900 - NOK is given as 'Father' David Gunn of 1 George Street, Inverness (where David and Ann were in 1901 census) and this is later crossed out and changed to 42 Rose Street, Inverness so presumably they moved after 1901).

His service record on FindMyPast lists him serving in South Africa from 28/6/1900 until 5/9/1903 (2nd Boer War?), home 6/9/1903 to 27/9/1905, India 28/9/1905 to 6/4/1906 (Partition of Bengal 1905?) and home 7/4/1906 until 14/3/1912 when officially discharged.

He and his grandmother are living with the Dunbar's by next census 1911 at 42 Rose Street, he didn't go to Australia until after 14/3/1912.

He was working in Queensland when he enlisted. Gunn was mentioned in despatches for "conspicuous gallantry between April 25th and May 8th, 1915." His next-of-kin was listed as Mrs David Gunn, 42 Rose Street, Inverness.

Inverness Memorial reads
In memory of my beloved husband David Gunn, Painter who died 18th Jan 1911 aged 75 years. Also William Gunn, Sergt 3rd Field Ambulance, Australia Imperial Force, killed in action 24th Nov 1915 at Anzac, Gallipoli. Ann Anderson wife of the above David Gunn died 26th May 1925 aged 89 years. Also their son in law William Dunbar died 24th Nov 1943 aged 81 years. And his wife Mary Gunn died 18th May 1946 aged 88 years.

From the Great War Forum (my grateful thanks to Old Sweats for Australian information and visiting Bill's grave a leaving a poppy)
a letter from Bill Gunn reprinted in one of the Queensland newspapers, and a photo of what's left of Gunn's A Section (Queensland), 3rd Field Ambulance, taken on Gallipoli sometime in the summer. The bloke at the back, holding a violin made from a chocolate box (still in his family's possession) is Ernie Pilcher, killed in France in 1918. Please feel free to use the photos in your family tree (this one is from the Australian War Memorial).

Gallipoli, October 17.

Dear friend,

It pleased me very much to read your most interesting letter.  Glad to hear that the "holy city" is still in the same old spot.  Our Brigade holds the records, as regards this war, for having been the longest time in the trenches -- 25 weeks today since we landed.  "Not too bad" for "Cook's Tourists" eh?  Our Brigade consists of 9th (Queenslanders), 10th, 11th and the 12th battalions, 3rd Field Company engineers, and 3rd Field Ambulance.  Of course, the large majority of the original force are either away sick or wounded, but there are still a few of the old hands left, "sticking it out" as it were.  Of my own unit -- of which, as you know, a section belongs to Queensland -- there are only 10 of the original landing party left.  We have had about 23 wounded -- the remainder being away sick -- out of a total of 80.  We have had some reinforcements posted to us.  We have had some hard work since we have been here, the landing being particularly so -- practically no rest for the first three days, going all the time.  I assure you our chaps deserved credit for what work they have done.  We were just as much exposed to Maxim and rifle fire, also "Billy Shrapnel " as the remainder.  It was amusing at times to watch them dodging across an exposed area to get out some poor wounded chap, one at a time.  There was one particular spot four of us got into, to try to get an officer out.  We got in all right but it would have been sudden death to attempt to get back again, so we had to wait there two solid hours before we got a chance.  As it was, we were lucky, as only one of our chaps got hit in the leg.  So when the Turks eased off a bit, I pick a backed him across at the double.  I have had a few narrow shaves here, but of course it is all in the "game".  You have got to take what comes your way, but of course you never know your luck, as there are always a few getting "pinked" every day.  Your letter was just a day late for Lt Hall who had been here, but had just left the day previous for Alexandria to take charge of our transport at Mex camp.  The "Queensland Times" is always a welcome friend to me.  I always have a good hour when it arrives.  I did see Major MacDonald when he arrived in Egypt, but not since then.  He is in charge of some hospital there.  As regards Capt Foxton, I have not met him, but if I do chance across him I will be sure to remember you to him.  Well, old friend, you will please excuse the pencil scribble, as ink is at a premium here.  It is set aside for "ossifers".  Your son Bert is still in Egypt with the horses, and he was in "good nick" the last I heard of him.  I must now close, hoping to see you on the wharf "when the boys come sailing home."

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman