Author Topic: WOODS Baptismal records 1830s  (Read 2553 times)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WOODS Baptismal records 1830s
« on: Friday 22 August 14 01:49 BST (UK) »
Seeking Roman Catholic baptismal records for these 3 WOODs  siblings:  Ellen Rose b 1834     James b 1835   Mary Ellen  b 1836.    Family lore says their parents names were Michael Woods and Rose Toeffe. 

I have tried every way to spell Rose's maiden name and it seems it didn't exist.   I truly will appreciate someone that is well versed in Irish research pointing out to me what her maiden name was.  Of course, I am hoping that the baptismal records for the 3 siblings can be found as I feel it will give their parents'  names.

I am very appreciative of any leads and/or assitance.    Regards,  Bettye in California

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WOODS Baptismal records 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 14 05:36 BST (UK) »
Using the RootsIreland website search index identifies a transcribed church marriage record for Michael Woods to Rose Taffe in 1821 in the RC parish of Creggan Upper (location shown in following link, not to be confused with a townland of that name due north in the Civil Parish of Loughgilly):

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/armaghrc.htm

Record content is pay to view, although the content will be sparse, for example, almost certainly no father's names.

While there is no guarantee on whether the Woods family or Taffe family actually came from that area going back, you should note that the Tithe Applotment Books have many Woods (including several Michaels) in Creggan Civil Parish for the year 1827 and at least a couple of Taffes in the same Civil Parish:

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 August 14 05:59 BST (UK) »
Again using the RootsIreland website search index, while I can't see baptisms for the children you mention, for parents input as Michael Woods and Rose Taffe, there is a transcribed baptism record for a Michael Woods in 1831, again in the RC parish of Creggan Upper.

Also, for parents input as Michael Woods and just Rose (no surname), there is a transcribed baptism record for a Chusan (Susan?) Woods in 1832 in the RC parish of Creggan Upper, this is just a possibility.

Fast forward a few decades to Griffiths Valuation and there are still lots of Woods in the Civil Parish of Creggan and one Taffe - John:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

BTW, if you search the RootsIreland website index just on the surname Taffe, you will see a great many come back (including many Rose's), many in the Armagh - Louth area, a common variant seems to be Taaffe.

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 August 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
GAFFY,   I have forgotten how to reply on Rootschat.    My sincerest APPRECIATION for your research and setting me on another leg of this research.   I just could not find the correct spelling for Rose's maiden name.    We have believed that her husband was a Michael Woods and this seems to confirm that believe.

Now I will pursue the links you sent to further the research.

A  MILLION THANKS to you,    Bettye

Offline JohnRobert1935

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 August 14 04:19 BST (UK) »
Gaffy-- One million thanks for your response to bjh. My family is so very grateful for your research and considerate input. BJH has been guiding my search and aggressively checking so many avenues. Your response to her will help my family uncover yet another line as we research our Irish roots. With appreciation, Bernie in California

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 August 14 05:41 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.  :)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Gaffy,  Last night Bernie Mason  obtained the marriage record from Rootsireland.  I am surprised that the name of the church was not listed where the marriage occurred.   What she received read:
    Church Marriage Record    Upper Creggan parish    23 April 1821   both shown as being Roman Catholic.   Witnesses were Thomas Taffe and Terre Moan

a note at the bottom of the marriage item showed this:  3rd wtns Michael Woods
       do you think this was the groom or another man with that name  ??
It also read  Disp Banns 3rd    and  3rd degree consang.   I assume that indicates that the banns were dispensed with but what does  '3rd degree consang'  mean ?

Do you know where I can find a list of Roman Catholic churches that were in Upper Creggan parrish  in 1821 ?

More than a million thanks,   Bettye

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 August 14 04:29 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the history of the parish of Upper Creggan, if I'm reading it correctly, the 1821 marriage probably took place in the Old Chapel, Moybane:

http://www.uppercreggan.co.uk/historical-overview.php

I would take a guess that '3rd degree consang' means that they were first cousins.

Edited to add:

The small chapel at Moybane was situated at a crossroads in the townland of Moybane, southeast of the village of Crossmaglen, here it is  in the OSI's 6" mapping series of 1837 - 1842 (although the chapel was no longer used at this point):

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,692234,813664,6,7

(use 'PAN', 'ZOOM IN' and 'ZOOM OUT', also 'STREET MAP (BETA)' to switch to a more modern map)

What little remains were eventually incorporated into the building of a handball alley:

http://www.irishhandballalley.com/2010/02/mobane-crossmaglen-coarmagh.html