Author Topic: Woolf Barnato / Diana Barnato Walker family tree  (Read 4148 times)

Offline DancesOnH2O

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woolf Barnato / Diana Barnato Walker family tree
« on: Friday 22 August 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All;

Brand-new newbie here (I know that's redundant).  Any help that you folks might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!

I recently acquired a pre-WWII car that originally belonged to Woolf Barnato.  It came with an extensive history folio that included personal letters written by a famous aviatrix, Diana Barnato Walker (Woolf's daughter) discussing the car with the most recent owner.

Have been doing exhaustive research, but have hit a roadblock.

In 1947, Diana's only child was born (of a 30 year affair with Whitney Willard Straight) and his given name is (*).  My attempts to track him down have been in vain, as the search (*) only shows that he was still alive at Diana's death in 2008, and (*) produces 40,000 (!!) results associated with Woolf's father Barney Barnato.

Are there any suggestions that might help me track Diana's son down?  I would love to reach him and share copies of her letters with him.  They are full of personality and written in the last few years of her life on UK Air Transport Auxilary letterhead.

-David

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Woolf Barnato / Diana Barnato Walker family tree
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Please see http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Sorry but the names and details of possible living persons are not allowed on RC. The son was born in 1949 not 1947 and married in England so no details can be posted about him

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1927116/Diana-Barnato-Walker.html

You may want to try an electoral register search for him.  There are a number of such sites but they are pay per view

www.192.com is one of the many
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
You haven't updated your p[rofile so we don't know where in the world you are.

1) If you can get to the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand, you could visit the probate dept and see if Diana left a will. If she did, he may have been the executor and his name and address will appear on the calendar entry.

2) I've found an address in Bath for someone with his name living with someone who has his grandmothers surname as his first name, most probably a child. An electoral register search at 192.com shows this other person not being there now but the rest of the family still are.

Sorry for the vagueness of my reply but we are talking about living people and there is a 'no living people' policy here. And on top of that you don't have 3 posts yet so I can't send you a personal message.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline KidCurry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
David

Woolf Barnato would be my 2nd cousin. If you care to send me a PM with your email address, I can put you in touch with members of the family.

Regards

Kid!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kid

David doesn't have enough posts to access the pm system.

As soon as he replies here, he should be able to use it.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline DancesOnH2O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Came back here and saw all your replys for the first time today.  I should have read the rules.  I didn't receive notifications either (likely due to the three post requirement). 

I am in USA and can't find anywhere to modify my signature line to reflect that.

I will post again so I can PM.  Thank-you for your help!

Offline DancesOnH2O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thank-you again!   ;D

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
It needs checking, but that Barney Barnato might be the same fella that turned out to be Esther Rantzen's grandmother's brother.

He turned out to be something like the "richest man in the world" and was a diamond dealer.  She had no idea until the programme.

Dig it out, see if it's the same fella - Who Do You Think You Are, Esther Rantzen episode.

Seems a strange name to not be similar/same/related..... but I also see "Kid" above's a more direct route to your answer :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline DancesOnH2O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
That particular Barney Barnato's fame is exactly what makes it difficult to find this particular one.  So many results for the elder that the great-grandson is difficult to find.