Author Topic: Translation of Jewish headstone  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Carol Sorkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Translation of Jewish headstone
« on: Saturday 23 August 14 03:38 BST (UK) »
Could someone please translate the first two lines of this headstone?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Carol

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Jewish headstone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
I once learnt some Hebrew, but unfortunately, while I think I can work out all the letters here, I can't remember enough to work out most of the words. All I can work out is two words/names in the top line:

You probably know that the Hebrew alphabet is written from right to left. On the right hand end of the first line (ie the start of the line), after one letter (which transliterates as "r"), is the name Aaron. Then at the end of that line (ie the left hand end) is a transliteration into the Hebrew alphabet of the name Alderman, which appears on the stone.

I really can't tell whether the rest of the inscription involves other names, or places, or something else. I'm sure there must be someone who can help - if nothing else there's a Jewish Genealogical Society which is bound to have someone who can read it.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carol Sorkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 14 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Arthur!

Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 August 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol....you could try putting it on the Deciphering and Recognition Board....there are a few good translators on there.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Carol Sorkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 14 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, Carol!  I wasn't sure where to post it. 
Carol