Author Topic: Northwoods Asylum, Frampton Cotterell  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northwoods Asylum, Frampton Cotterell
« on: Saturday 30 August 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
Would any kind person be able to tell me how to get information on admission/discharge records for the above private asylum. 

Ellen Willcox (b. 1840) was a patient there until she was transferred out in October 1881 and appears on the 1881 census.  I am trying to find out when she would have been admitted there.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Lyn

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northwoods Asylum, Frampton Cotterell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 August 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
Gloucestershire Archives - you could check the on line catalogue at -

ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve/exe

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 August 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time out to reply.

I have tried the link you suggested but the only records are of deaths that occurred at Northwoods Asylum.  Ellen Willcox wasn't among them as she was transferred to another asylum in Oct 1881.

I'm thinking because it was only a small asylum that perhaps admissions/discharge records were not kept?

Lyn

Offline Peter Carpenter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
The central register of asylum admissions is on Ancestry.com for 1848- 1920
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/9051

36412 Ellen Willcox admitted private patient 3 Feb 1881 Northwoods, discharged 12 Oct 1881 not improved.
there is no note of her admission elsewhere.
There is also Ellen Willcox admission 19 Feb 1881 to Burntwood Staffordshire who died in April .

I am researching Northwoods

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if the oldmaps entry of Northwoods gives a clue. It describes Northwoods as a Private Lunatic Asylum.
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/367173/181023/12/100636
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Peter Carpenter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 20 17:07 BST (UK) »
If you want OS 25" maps better to go for the National Library of Scotland collection - they are free online and downloadable.
Northwoods was an odd place -mainly built 1840s we assume by Henry Hawes Fox using his patented concrete floor methods - the Fox and Barrett system. Massive dispute in 1851 on level of restraint. Finally sold to Davey in 1852 who ran it for 25 years. In 1876 taken over by Eager & Seymour who had been the Supt and Steward of St Lukes in London.   
The 36 report of the commissioners in Lunacy [1882] says:
In 1875 Northwoods, near Bristol, which had been licensed to Dr Davey, was transferred to Dr. Reginald Eager and Mr T. G. Seymour, the present licensees. The house was then much out of repair, and extensive alterations and improvements were necessary, and, in the main, have been effected; The licensees have, indeed, shown a commendable readiness to accept, and even to anticipate, our various suggestions for further improvement; The reports in the past year upon the condition
and management of this House have been favourable. It is licensed for 25 private patients of either sex, and at the last visit there were on the books the names of 20 males and 21 females. The rates of payment vary considerably; the ordinary charge is three guineas a week, but many patients are received at much lower rates; An adequate staff of attendants is maintained, and we consider that the general treatment of the patients in Northwoods is good. We recently recommended the engagement of a ladies’ companion to assist Mrs Seymour, who now devotes much time to the duties of that office.