Author Topic: translation from french to english  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: translate from french to english
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 September 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
I assumed from the content that the letter(s) were written to family members, in which case I would certainly expect 'tu' to be used.

Topics merged
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: translation from french to english
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
I am somewhat bamboozled that when I made a comment to this question last Thursday,  none of the replies dated Tuesday and Wednesday were there.

It doesn't seem like a letter from a family member to me.  More like an ex-girlfriend.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
There were two separate threads, which I merged ;)

Christiane (the writer) calls Dicky her "little brother" - at different times and in different social classes, the use of "tu" and "vous" was not always the same as today.  (My Swiss husband's grandfather, born in 1908, always called me "vous", for instance.)

There are minor mistakes both in the grammar and the punctuation, but nothing startling - I see worse from some of my French friends!
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cleaner1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 13:01 BST (UK) »
thanks to all who helped translate the letters  can this one  thanks