Author Topic: translation from french to english  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: translation from french to english
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 01:22 BST (UK) »
What is the date at the top of the letter? I can't work it out.

At the beginning I thought if may have been a letter to a brother in the war - but may be way off the mark with that theory.  :)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure about the date either - 12/9/65?  or 45?

cleaner - if you have more letters for translation, post them here and I/others will do our best! ;)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cleaner1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
thanks to Rambler and Ruskie for your help . the date is 1945 . i will try to post other letters a bit clearer  thanks again    cleaner 1947

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: translate from french to english
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
It looks somewhat to me like one letter on one side,   and a reply to it on the other side.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
Well I am no intellectual,  but this is most of it.

This is the page on the right,  the bottom right end the lines are truncated.

I send you again this little word which I hope finds you in good health.  I hope very much to receive your news because I swear that the time seems to be very long today.  Sunday day very sad I hope its not the same for you. Where are you now dear ? Perhaps very far and I know that wherever you are my heart follows you. To me that you find too heavy.

This is the page on the left.

Dicky I would like to give you a pleasant surprise Hooray.  Maybe.  But for that, it is necessary that you still be in Belgium this month.  I hope I will have this happiness if you change <heart?> <write?> dear you will be a love of grandson.?  little girl ?   Nanette is not very good she is naughty < > miss has 2 teeth Hooray.  I don't think I will go out today, the night caps are better at their place.  And then I become bad in the heart and jealous of the happiness of others.  It is better that I stay here with the hope of seeing you again big surprise. I give you my big kiss hello to all the family Elizabeth.

It is slightly unconvincing to me, that this is actually written by a french person.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 September 14 01:34 BST (UK) »
It is slightly unconvincing to me, that this is actually written by a french person.

It's very odd in that the "vous" form of "you" is used throughout.  That's a formal usage, which doesn't seem to fit the content.  I would expect "tu".
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 September 14 05:20 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's written by a French person either...it lacks accents (mechante instead of méchante for example, and ecriver instead of écriver although I would have thought écrire would be the correct form. Belgian maybe). It's also not very idiomatic...I can read it pretty well but I have trouble with "real" French :) The handwriting doesn't look very European either.

Well, my two centimes' worth ;D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 September 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
When I was taught French in the late 1940s, early 50s, I was told only to use the 'vous' form as 'tu' was  generally used in families for children. It wasn't envisaged in those days that we would travel and actually meet French families. I have now got several good French friends but I still find it difficult to use 'tu'.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 September 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Alors mes amis  :)

It could have been written by a non-French person with a good grasp of the French language? I agree that the use of vous would have been more appropriate a few years ago, we have adopted many French habits including hugging and kissing and using tu more often.

SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?