Author Topic: A Richard family in Ystradgynlais parish  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Kelly Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A Richard family in Ystradgynlais parish
« on: Monday 01 September 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm researching the family of Thomas Richard, who lived at Clyn Elen in Upper/Lower Ystradgynlais parish on the 1841 and 1851 census.  He is my 4-greats-grandfather.  His daughter Margaret married William Williams on 23 Sep 1852.  They first lived at Penygraig and later moved to Banwen in Glamorgan.

Thomas appears to have been involved in some mining near that area - there appears to be a deed to this effect in the Gwyn Estate papers.  As he had a servant listed on the 1851 census, it seemed that he must have a sufficient estate to justify a will or other estate administration records.  However, I was only able to find indexes through 1857, and he may well have survived later than that.

I'd like to learn more about this Richard/Richards family, especially in the hope of finding relatives in Wales today.

Thank you,

Kelly Williams
Mount Joy, PA  USA

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Richard family in Ystradgynlais parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, Not sure if you are still researching Thomas Richard of Ystradgynlais and if you found any info. on him, particulary if he owned a mine but  a family member of a Richard family of Ystradgynlais has been researching same family to see of any connection. Would be interested if you found any info. on him.
Regards, Syljun

Offline Kelly Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to discover that he owned land, but he seems to  have operated a fairly large estate in the Abercrave area.  I've traced some descendants in the Richard and Mathias families, but the closest I've been able to come to a present-day relative is a man named Llewelyn Richards, who died in 1938 and is buried with his wife Gwenllian Aubrey Richards near Onllwyn.  I'd enjoy contacting some Richard relatives!

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly, Thanks for replying. Will have to get back to you if any connection. My neice is looking for a Thomas Richards of Ystradgynlais who apparently owned a mine. Syljun

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly, Looking at 1851 Census I notice your Thomas Richard was born Ystradfellte, Brecon. Perhaps more info on him can be found there. Not sure what you are exactly looking for and what info you have. Syljun

Offline Siwsan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Elen is the local nant  or stream. Sarn Helen was the roman road with a roman settlement in Banwen. Glyn Elen is now Pentwynelen Farm in Caehopkin.

The Richards family who married into a mining family was from Penderyn which is about 12 miles away. He was a limestone merchant. It might be his name in the Gwyn Estate papers but your Thomas Richards would have had a lease anyway with the Gwyn Estate because they owned his farm. (The Gwyn Estate rents were always collected in his farm.) Thomas Richards Penderyn's daughter Jennet married Rhys Davies of Caehopkin who had a share in the mine but Thomas Richards stayed in Penderyn.

I shall try to find out about your Richards family. Were they church or chapel? I am in the middle of this patch.
Siwsan

Offline Kelly Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking in on this post!

I think chapel.  Margaret Richard was apparently a woman of great spirit, a member of Tyn-y-Coed chapel at age 15, and remembered for many years later by members of Addoldy Glynnedd, where she attended for some years before her emigration in 1855.  (I was delighted to be able to see both of these chapels on my last trip to Wales.)  Her 1865 obituary mentioned a "large circle of relatives in Wales" - no surprise, I suppose, as she appears to have had at least 4 siblings and at least 14 nieces & nephews.

Kelly

Offline Siwsan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
My family eventually followed yours to the farm in the 1860s.

I am glad you have been to see everything for yourself.
All the best
Siwsan

Offline Kelly Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I'd be happy to send a few early census records, etc., if you are considering some more digging and thought they might help.  For example, here is Thomas's family in 1841, after Margaret was married and moved away.  (7-year-old Jenet Williams is Margaret's daughter.)

I could also send an invite to my Ancestry tree that has the Richard folks.  One way to reach me is - kelfy at yahoo dot com .