Author Topic: 1794 marriage Richard Mellings to Rachel (…) in Mansfield  (Read 3583 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1794 marriage Richard Mellings to Rachel (…) in Mansfield
« on: Friday 05 September 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
I have 2 marriages of Richard Mellings in 1794 both recorded on 16th December to Rachel.  Ancestry gives the spouse's surname as both West and Wressell.  Freereg gives the spouse's name as Wressell (file 19050).  Same date for all records.  Marriage took place in Mansfield but groom's parish is recorded as Blyth.  There is a LDS film reference for the 'West' marriage, which I shall try to see, when I can get there.  The Wressell reference seems to be based on Notts records.

I have found Rachel Wressell's baptism in Burrow, Lincs, 1766, so that would be her maiden name.  My question relates to the original 1794 marriage entry in Notts records (on the Notts cd?).  Is there a second record where Wressell could be mis-heard/ mis-transcribed into 'West'.  If not, all I can think is that there was an earlier marriage to a West who then died.  I have not found such a marriage anywhere. Might there be such a record on the Notts cd?  She would be 20 in 1786; the second (?) marriage in Mansfield was in 1794. Would this indicate if she was a widow?

There is a thread related to this in the main Notts area.

Thanks for any help

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1794 marriage Richard Mellings to Rachel (…) in Mansfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi estiman,

I've had a look at my Notts CD and there is no marriage of a West to a Wressell and the marriage of Richard Mellings was to Rachel Wressell but the disc only give names dates and church.  If you found the details on Freereg it usually would give details as if was widowed or not if it was noted on the marriage, it depends on how good the church was with its records not all at that time would state if single or widowed. I'm hoping to go into Nottingham archives sometime over the next two weeks so could have a look at the records there for you if you don't mind wanting.

Wendy

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Offer much appreciated, thanks. Very happy to wait if you are willing to make the effort.  Cheers

Ray

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I've managed to view the microfilm of the record in question.  I believe I can just make out the large initial 's' of Wressell and possibly the 'll'.  However, the original is very faded at that point (hence the West version) and faded originals never transfer well to microfilm....So, if your offer still stands, verification on the original would be appreciated - but only if it's not a major hassle  :)

Cheers

Ray

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
hi Ray,

Sorry I haven't yet been able to get to the archives hoping to go sometime this week so yes of course I'll have a look for you. 

Wendy
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
Wendy,

The record is 2nd from the bottom on the relevant page.  I've got a scan from the microfilm and was going to attach a crop of the record but for some reason the attachments link at the bottom of the reply post didn't give me the option to attach... ???

Ray

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 14 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,

I've tried doing attachments before and unable to do so.  i'll pm you my email address.

Wendy

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Marriage St Peters & St Pauls Mansfield 16 Dec 1794.

Richard Mellings of Blyth aged 30yrs a Bachelor  and Rachel Wessell of this parish aged 29yrs a spinster married by banns both signed.  Witnesses were John forester and ?? Lockwood.

Wendy

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

Thanks a lot - at least that puzzle is settled (one up on Ancestry  :) ).  Additional info about ages also great news.  Much appreciated you took the bother.

Cheers

Ray