Author Topic: Henry Hugh McKinley  (Read 6879 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hugh McKinley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Mmmm....an interesting one.....not married, but then I've been wondering if Rebecca died after giving birth, given the birth was registered so late and not by father or mother.

sorry should have mentioned - that census record is from 1901 ...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Oops, missed seeing that was 1901 not 1911, still had my  8) on (plus in Chatterbox and searching another family in USA 1930 Census - note to self, don't multi-task when replying on a thread  ;D)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 October 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
Since this am, I've managed to find someone on another site who has William and Jane (nee Stewart) McKinley of Dunfanaghy research, and so made email contact with them . She has a gap of 8 years in their children and has always suspected there was a missing sibling. It does indeed seem possible that it could be Henry Hugh McKinley. Unfortunately, as she doesn't have a note of him, she is not aware what became of him either. Still, at least it is another pair of eyes looking.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 October 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Well, the fresh eyes of the other researcher seem to have worked wonders. She has checked her records more fully, and whilst she did not have a Henry Hugh listed, she did have a query that there may have been a 'Harry' in right timescale. Anyhow, spurred on by my info about Henry Hugh, she had a good look on the 1911, and found:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Ballyhane/Kilderriheen/666945/

Apart from a few minor discrepancies (least of which being that Rebecca states 2 born/2 living), it certainly seems to fit as being the missing couple. So, they certainly did move around a lot, as this is now them in Waterford.

I have checked the births of the two children and found index entries for each of them in Tullamore - so looks like they returned to Rebecca's home area (and area they married), had the next two children, then headed to Waterford.

A quick check of Kilderriheen reveals only 3 properties. The McKinley's are at property 2, whilst at 1 is, I would guess, his employer:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Ballyhane/Kilderriheen/666944/

(could the Sir John Keane at above census be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Keane,_5th_Baronet mmmm....if so, I wonder if there would be estate papers somewhere detailing his servants etc??)

which again makes me believe we have right couple as this is similar type of employment Henry had at 1901 and in what looks to be a similar type of household.

Mind you, dear knows what become of them thereafter.

edit:

it does look to be same Sir John Keane,  as his daughter and son of same names as those on the census return are also noted at:

http://thepeerage.com/p5473

Offline Reginager

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi.i know this is a old post so Hopefully you get my message. Rebbeca Blake that is married to Henry hugh mckinley is my grannys aunt. Her family came from Wexford to live in Durrow Tullamore. They lived there and end up living at the gate lodge to Durrow Abbey where some of the family members worked.her parents were Robert Blake and Suzanne Foster from wexford, they had 12children. Some of Rebbeca Blake family are buried at Durrow Tullamore which i live not far from. I Hopefully you get this and maybe I can share more with you only new on this site so i Hopefully can figure it out

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Reginager and welcome to Rootschat.

It  has been a number of years since I last looked at William, Henry and Rebecca, but from memory (I would need to dig out old notes), I did find some further details about Henry and Rebecca since the earlier posts on this thread.

I do still think, on balance of evidence and despite the different father's forename on his marriage certificate, Henry and Rebecca were William's parents, however I didn't manage to discover why they apparently left him behind.

Whilst I have done some research on them, the family William was adopted into was not  actually one of my lines, but rather one I was looking at for someone else.

That said, if you are yourself researching Henry and Rebecca, I would be happy to dig out the old notes and share any finds that might be useful to you.

Offline Reginager

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
That would be lovely to see what you have. They got married in durrow and 1month later they had gone to Derry to have the Child, which they never seem to say they have in census. And with in a year she has an other Child, I think That Child could of been given away because of them not been long married.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the statutory declaration made in Nov 1939 on Henry Hugh's birth cert by William John McKinley and Florence Vance
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02965/2086076.pdf

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, Dathai. I wonder who they were and why they were doing this in 1939.

Henry and Rebecca were in Kinnitty, Birr, in what was then King's County, at 1913 and 1916, having a Henry Hugh McKinley born on 20/6/1913 and a Martha Irene McKinley born on 12/4/1916.

Another 3 possible births in the Birr area after this too, but I won't add names here as within 100 years.