Author Topic: Anybody visiting Borthwick Institute in York?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Rich78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anybody visiting Borthwick Institute in York?
« on: Tuesday 09 September 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was wondering if anyone was visiting the Borthwick Institute in York and would possibly look me up a marriage license for me please?
Benjamin Ridgway and Hannah Toothill marriage by license at the Sheffield Cathedral St Peter & St Paul on the 7th April 1793. I was hoping the marriage license may hold some more important information (especially on Benjamin who i am unable to trace).

Thankyou
Rich

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody visiting Borthwick Institute in York?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Rich, the licence will tell you the bride and groom's parishes and ages (though if it says 21, it could just mean over-21).  You can order a copy from the Borthwick online, but unless the bride is a minor and needs her father's consent, it probably won't tell you more than the record in the indexes - which I can check for you when next in ERY archives, if you wish.  Some time this week.

All the best
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline Rich78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. It would be great if you could look the index up for me please.
Thanks again.
Rich

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
Rich
I had 5 minutes free this afternoon and dropped into the archives.  At first sight, it's not that helpful.  The licence was issued on 22 March 1792 to BR, 20, of Sheffield, to marry HT, 18, also of Sheffield, at Sheffield parish church.  Note the date - you say they married in April 1793.  I'm wondering whether this is because the record ran from Lady Day to Lady Day.

Since Hannah is a minor, as for that matter is Benjamin, it might be worth getting a copy of the allegation.   I have that of my 3 x great grandparents in 1804.  It gives the groom's age (22), marital status, parish and calls him a yeoman.  The bride is only 18 and her father gives his consent to the marriage (it was a shotgun business) and gives his occupation.  Both men sign their names.

You can order copies online through the Borthwick's website. 

All the best
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline Rich78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful to you for taking the time out to look for me. The age of Benjamin is helpful as it narrows it down. I think he may have been born in Edale in Derbyshire in 1772 and the age adds up. Just need to find a link now.
Thanks again
Richard