Author Topic: job whyatt/wyatt  (Read 2984 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
job whyatt/wyatt
« on: Monday 15 September 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
Job Whyatt was a staymaker in Chesterfield born@1759, died 1830. He married 3 times and had lots of children but only one (my ancestor) survived into adulthood. I'm trying to trace Job's parents but don't have a name for his mother. His father's name is John. From Family Search it looks like he had several brothers and sisters. Am I right in thinking my only route would be to check Parish Records in person?
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: job whyatt/wyatt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
List all the Siblings of Job that you can find in Birth order.
The naming pattern will throw up a couple of possible female names of the Daughters who could be named after their Mother.
I checked 1741-1761 for Wyatt christenings for a Father John and the earliest I could find was Sarah;
Sarah 1743
Richard 1746
Mary 1748
Alice 1750
Anne 1752
Rose 1753
John 1755
Margaret 1758
Job, 13 Feb 1760****
Mark, 1762**
Luke, 1765

Also on F/S is a Burial of MARK Whyatt, 30 May 1765 Chesterfield, Son of JOHN/ALICE*
Luke seems to have been Buried 28 May 1768 but only has Fathers name John on record.

So it is possible John Wife was a Alice.

Back to Job;
His Marriage to Ellen SHENTELL is on FreeREG 1782
Baptism of Son JOHN , 01 Jan 1783 on FreeREG
Burial of Hellen Whyatt, 3 January 1787 on F/S.Org, Wife of Job
Then do you have him Marrying Frances OATES 1797?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your help. I had found most of these, but missed the Mark entry!
This may be the way forward.
As far as Job is concerned, I have details of his three marriages, the last being to Anne Hodgkinson, in Alfreton. Altogether from his 3 marriages he had eleven children although sadly only Matthew  Henry survived(my gggfather). He was orphaned at 10 years old but turns up in 1841 in Sheffield so he must have been pretty tough!

I would love to know how he managed but I guess that he had uncles or aunts. Thats the next step!!
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline Glen B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
hello Ruth, have just joined RootsChat  where i had found ref. to Matthew Henry Wyatt on your post  he is an ancestor of my wife, via her grandmother Martha  Wyatt.  perhaps we could share findings
Glen B

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen
Nice to hear from you. As you can see Matthew Henry and his father have been a sticking point for me and I haven't made much progress any further back than Job.  MH  and his wife Martha nee Hemmingfield were my GGgrandparents , their daughter Mary Ann married my Ggrandfather Richard Albert Barber.

Where does your wifes grandmother fit?  I'm happy to swap info if relevant.
Martha Hemmingfield (spelt many different ways!) came from Ecclesfield originally.

Offline Glen B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth, thanks for reply.  have been doing FH for about 50 yrs.much of it before internet. had put the Wyatts on hold some time ago, but have recently found a fellow historian had them on his tree & copied me all his info . which reawakened my interest in Matthew H.
My wife's GM was Martha Wyatt, d of Frederick William, son of Matthew,, so it would seem we have a connection.   we have not found MHW's marriage, but friend found his whereabouts in 1851 census which if you have not found ,was a surprise.
new to RootsChat am not sure how best to proceed inside or outside tis site

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 20 13:32 BST (UK) »
When you have posted three times then you can private message me. I have the 51 census details but I have not been able to find much more so have no idea how he ended up in Wakefield.  i've  spent around 15 years so a beginner in lots of ways, but  my sister has been researching much longer than me !
Do you want any info on the Hemmingfields? 
I suspect that MH and Martha never married. Martha' s first child (Hannah) was christened privately and didn't live with Martha in the early years, Martha was a servant in 1851 (and Hannah is with her sister)
Please let me know if you have this, some of it is supposition but there are facts to back it up.

regards Ruth (probably 4th cousin by marriage!)

My sister also has a sampler worked by Martha when she was 14, handed down

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
Just been checking the data I have for Frederick William Wyatt (born 1854, married Elizabeth 1878) I have only traced 4 children, Robert  b1879,  Frederick b1882, Frank b1884 and Alice b1888.
When was your wifes grandmother born?  Are we talking about the same Frederick?

Cheers
Ruth

Offline Glen B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Martha was bap. 13/11/1880 d.of Frederick Wiiliiam.  have her marr. cert. which gives him as father.
md. Albert Edwin Coy , 27/7/1900    Coy is my wife's mother,s family name.
When I got a copy of 1891 census for Frederick , only noticed by chance that Martha was living next door with her GM at the Greyhound Tavern.
Have quite a bit of info on the Hemmingfields,  including some graves at Ecclesfield 
hope this helps