Author Topic: Birth certificates available in Derby itself?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth certificates available in Derby itself?
« on: Friday 19 September 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
I'm almost sure that some time ago I recall hearing that in some areas of the country it was possible to obtain a photocopy made of an original birth certificate (I'm thinking of 1850s) from a local Register Office, rather than just sending off to the National Centre, and getting a typed out copy.
I'd felt that by getting a photocopy, even if it ended up costing a little more, it would be more personal and relevant.
Could anyone tell me, if I contact Derby Records or Register office, and then arrange to travel there, is this likely to be possible? Or have I no chance? Guidance needed, please.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificates available in Derby itself?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

A certificate is only created when someone requests a copy. You should check with the Local Register office that holds the particular register to ask how they issue certificates, some write or type them out on request whilst others scan the original register and print it onto a certificate. The GRO usually scan their copy of the register and print it onto a certificate but the GRO do not have the original registers.

Andy

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Ring the office to find out what exactly you'd get that would be different to what you'd get from the GRO:

http://www.derby.gov.uk/community-and-living/marriages/registration-copy-certificates/

Seems they'd put it in the post, so no need for you to travel to Derby.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much - I'll give that a try. I'd not expected they'd put it in the post.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Haven't ordered from local Register Offices recently, but in the past we've found many have handwritten the details on the certificates rather than photocopy the entries from the registers (which the GRO does) so you may find it less personal.  So its worth bearing that in mind.

If it's a marriage entry, other than perhaps a Register Office one, they often won't issue them because of extra work involved ... or that's what we found some years back.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
Oh. I've only had ones from GRO which have been typewritten, previously, and I rather wanted as close to the original as possible, as it may loosen a few bricks in one of my brick walls, and hoped a photocopy may do that. Would it be likely to get a better response in person than e-mail or 'phone enquiry, do you think? Obviously giving advance warning.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
I've PMd you ...  ;)

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Would it be likely to get a better response in person than e-mail or 'phone enquiry, do you think? Obviously giving advance warning.

I ordered one over the phone but it arrived handwritten.  That said, I didn't specifically ask for it not to be handwritten.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
Certificate photocopy arrived, perfect! Aren't people in Records Offices WONDERFUL!