Author Topic: James Thomson - Death Date  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Thomson - Death Date
« on: Monday 22 September 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to find a relative of mine named James Thomson. He was born in Buckie on 28th June 1893 to George Thomson and Helen Cowie, and until today I didn't realise that he lived over in Northern Ireland.

I found a Royal Navy record stating his usual address as Harbour Road, Kilkeel. The only downside was that it didn't give me any details of his family, so I'm afraid I don't know if he married or ever had any children.

I was wondering if someone could help me in finding his death. I don't know for definite that he died in Northern Ireland though it certainly is a possibility seeing as he was living in Kilkeel in the 1920s.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Thomson - Death Date
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 September 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I cannot find a death but a James THOMPSON whose father was George married Elizabeth Ann Cassidy in Kilkeel Church of Ireland on 6 Apr 1920.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for replying; that certainly seems like it could be him. Thomson is a name that was often misspelled. Can I ask where you found the record? If this is him then it'd be a good idea to find the death of his wife, I'll see if I can find it.

Are you able to find out if there were any children born to the couple in Kilkeel?

Many thanks,

Greg

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I will send you a PM.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
May be no connection but because it's Thomson, Kilkeel....
"Thomson, Elizabeth Ann of Harbour Road Kilkeel county Down married woman died 14 July 1960 Probate Belfast 12 September to George Thomson fisherman and John Ivan Norris haulier. Effects £1030."
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I think that is her. It's quite possible that the Thomson family had their name anglicised - I'm pretty sure 'Thomson' is more of a Scottish spelling. There is mention of her son in the post too. I ended up finding a family tree that had some information on their family which included the names of their children.

That's a great help, thank you! I'm one step closer to finding out what happened to James himself.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
It's quite common to find Thompson & Thomson used interchangeably so don't worry too much about that although it does mean you need to always check under both variations.

Well, if the Will Extract is James Thomson's wife it would seem that he died after she did in 1960.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JohnC71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 February 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Greg,

The James Thomson that you're looking for was my grandfather, he moved to Kilkeel from Buckie shortly after marrying my grandmother and passed away in 1979 and was survived by his five children; Helen (Nellie) Norris, George Thomson (deceased), Martha Thomson, Jean Coulter and my mother Elizabeth Ann (Betsy) Moffett (deceased).

Aunt Nellie has two sons. George and Martha never married and aunt Martha still lives in the family home. Aunt Jean sadly lost her two twin daughters in a car accident in the late 1960's and adopted my cousin Joanne in the 1970's, and mum produced six of us siblings.

Let me know if I can fill in any other gaps for you. We've really no contact with the Scots side of the family and it would be great to get to know them.

Best Regards,

John Moffett

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 March 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I'll send you a message with questions and we can discuss more of the family there seeing as there are Thomsons still alive (it's against rules to post publicly about living people)

Regards

Greg