Author Topic: What do you think this name is?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think this name is?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Details of the 1861 are:

Union Workhouse, Whickham Market, Suffolk
E C, W Pauper, unmarried, 26 or 21(female col), general servant , b. Friston, Suffolk

It is a fair way from the Hoxne area though  :-\

Gadget

Yeah just looking at a map, it is a fair way. I'll still give it a look over when I can though cause she has to be somewhere.

The name is Thomason Carter.

Thanks. I still can't find anything for a "Thomason Carter" ever being in Suffolk or Norfolk though.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
If it's a church wedding, I wonder if it might be worth contacting the relevant county records office/archive where the original register has been deposited, and asking them to check what the original register says.  Given that you can give them the date, place and entry no on the register, I'd have thought that most Records Offices would do that for free.

I've just had a reply, they've told me the name is Thomson Carter. Thanks again for the idea!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that you will find her father.

Rose(tta) could well have done what my grandfather and his sister did on their wedding certificates. Both were born in the same time period as Rosetta. My grandfather was the younger and was born in a workhouse and stayed there until he was 12 and then was apprenticed. His sister was brought up by her grandparents (thinking of them as her parents). Their mother was sent to a Midlands home for unmarried mothers/laundry and then went in to service.

Great Aunt used her grandfather's name as father on her marriage cert. My grandfather used his own name with a made up occupation. He was a very proud but generous man. Both their birth certs and baptism entries record them without a named father.

I discovered this in the last 15 years - my mother never knew.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that you will find her father.

Rose(tta) could well have done what my grandfather and his sister did on their wedding certificates. Both were born in the same time period as Rosetta. My grandfather was the younger and was born in a workhouse and stayed there until he was 12 and then was apprenticed. His sister was brought up by her grandparents (thinking of them as her parents). Their mother was sent to a Midlands home for unmarried mothers/laundry and then went in to service.

Great Aunt used her grandfather's name as father on her marriage cert. My grandfather used his own name with a made up occupation. He was a very proud but generous man. Both their birth certs and baptism entries record them without a named father.

I discovered this in the last 15 years - my mother never knew.

Gadget

Interesting story, thanks for the insight.

Even if I don't find the father, I'd just like to get around the confusion of whether she has a father with the Carter surname or whether Carter came from her unmarried mother Eliza, which is what I had thought prior to getting the marriage certificate.