Author Topic: SUNNEX/Sunax william  (Read 3031 times)

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SUNNEX/Sunax william
« on: Wednesday 01 October 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help confirm his baptism in upchurch abt 1793/4 or his marriage to Eliza WEEBLEY march 1826 in bredhurst i have the entry on family search but no image available, some children baptized Boxley and Thurnham
Where can I contact to get images? Also Boxley Parish is reported to have assisted with payment for passage to NZ with goverment scheme in 1841, is more information available about this please?
Thanx from New Zealand

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SUNNEX/Sunax william
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to images of either Upchurch or Bredhurst.  However, the Kent Family History Society have transcribed records for both of those Parishes onto a CD.  Its transcriptions are as follows:-

Baptism at Upchurch (two siblings, Jemima 1792 and John 1799)
28 Dec 1794 William S of Robert & Thomasine Sunnock

Marriage at Bredhurst
13 March 1826 Wm Sunax Ba otp Eliza Weebly Sp otp B
Witnesses were John Browning and John Lane (Parish Clerk?)

Hope this helps.  ???

Tony  :)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
You can see the marriage online at the Medway Arc site

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search&PathList=/Z4a_Medway_Ancestors/

Scroll down to Bredhurst, then find the marriage range and the actual image is on jpg.......194.

Tony  8)

P.S.
Not sure where (if at all) Upchurch is available online. ???  The Parish Registers (and or a filmed copy) are held at Maidstone History Centre; Bishops Transcripts are held at Canterbury Cathedral Archives.

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 October 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
I has seen a Thomas Sunnocks birth 1806 and wondering if parents Robert and Thomasine, can anyone help confirm?
William called his 1st NZ born son Thomas so think this could be a brother?
Thanx from NZ

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 October 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
He doesn't look like a brother to your William.  ???

There are four children baptised at Upchurch to John and Mary and here is the difficulty, three differing surnames as transcribed by the KFHS.  ???

Robert 1792 Lennock
Mary 1798 Sennocks
William 1801 Lennocks
Thomas 1803 Lennocks

On some Registers it is difficult to differentiate between an L and an S.  ???

It could be that Robert snr. and John snr. were bothers; might be possible to confirm with further research.

Whilst looking at the CD I did notice this marriage:-

18 Apr 1786 Robert Sunnock Ba otp Thomasin Miles Sp otp L Witnesses Sarah Loft Mary Palmer.

As the marriage was by Licence the Allegation and Bond to get the Licence may still exist at a Local Archive.  The Allegation may well have useful information contained therein.

Hope this may help.

Tony :)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 October 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
You might find something of interest on this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=490804.msg3484021#msg3484021
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 October 14 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
I think you may be correct with john and robert brothers i am now wondering if their father was william i saw a death about 179? Which could fit in with being their father?
I may have been wrong about which family our nz william belonged to as i see that john and marys (nee smith) children have same names ? Trying to piece back from death info may have put me wrong!
Any more upchurch transcriptions would be greatly appreciated but i know the difficulty with several spellings i have used a wildcard* for the vowels and ending but dont for 1st
Again many thanks for your help

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 October 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
I will admit that when I saw the William born 1801 at Upchurch, I wondered if you had the right one.  ??? However the death of William Sunnex (in New Zealand) in 1883 aged 89 fits your original choice far better!  ;D

I will see what I can find in Upchurch tomorrow bearing in mind the many variations of the name Sunnock.  ??? ??? ???

I think the burial you mention was dated 21 Oct 1796 and the surname was transcribed by the KFHS as SIONOAHS?  :-\ ??? :-\

Tony  :)

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 October 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
yes the date fits best but after all it is only given by an  illiterate family, so would they really know correct dates either? I went to the shipping transcript and his age is said to 35 in 1841 on the TYNE which isnt accurate for either birthdate but I cant get that original either.
the family names however are heard and repeated and as there is no Robert or Jemima  but is a  son john as well as Thomas and his 2nd daughter was Mary Ann

I also thought john and Mary had a Mary Elizabeth?
I will do some more research to see if i can to find what happened to the other William, that could help!
thanx for showing me that link
I dont think I'll complicate matters with the USA side but its good to know others were emigrating as well, and also proves there were others families in surrounding districts which if ones goes back another generation i'm sure they will all link up,
My difficulty is being so far away and not able to get at originals, On those one would see how these transcripts have altered
so really thankful you are a marvelous help