Author Topic: Death Certificate(s) lookup please (Leith/Montgomery)  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Tim Leith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death Certificate(s) lookup please (Leith/Montgomery)
« on: Thursday 02 October 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
Found on the 1911 census for Ireland:

Lived on Main Street, Ballymoney, County Antrim
Andrew Leith, age 57, Presbyterian, b. Co. Antrim, grocery clerk, married 25 years
Margaret Leith, age 48, Presbyterian, b. Co. Antrim, married 25 years, 8 children, 7 children living

If someone could please locate the death certificates (even transcriptions) for these two people I would GREATLY appreciate it as you would really help break down a wall for me :)  I know Andrew died on 6 May 1924 and Margaret died 9 February 1962.  Also per each of their wills they left their assets to a Jeanie Montgomery Leith whom I believe to be their oldest daughter.

Thank you very much!!
~Tim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate(s) lookup please (Leith/Montgomery)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
You've posted in Completed Lookup Requests so your thread might easily get overlooked. Just click on 'report to moderator' to ask for it to be moved to the main ANTRIM board.

Northern Ireland death certificates aren't online so you'd need to order them to get the full details. Both should appear in the online GRONI index (up to 1963 for deaths).

"Also per each of their wills they left their assets to a Jeanie Montgomery Leith whom I believe to be their oldest daughter."
Are you basing this on the Will Extracts or have you seen the actual Wills?
"Leith Andrew of Ballymoney county Antrim merchant died 6 May 1924 Probate Belfast 26 August to Jeanie Montgomery Leith spinster. Effects £922 15s. 2d."
All that means is that Jeanie applied for probate of Andrew's estate and she would then have been responsible to carry out the instructions in that Will.

"Leith, Margaret of 2 College Avenue Bangor county Down spinster died 9 February 1962 Probate Belfast 30 March to Jeannie Montgomery Leith spinster. Effects £2709 14s. 7d."
This says that Margaret Leith was unmarried- so not Andrew's wife? As with Andrew's Will, Jeannie was merely an executor but did not necessarily inherit anything.

Added- death registration lists her age as 73 (born c1889) whereas Andrew's wife, according to 1911 census, was born c1863. There's a daughter Maggie born c1889 which is probably the one you found died in 1962.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate(s) lookup please (Leith/Montgomery)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 October 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Andrew Leith married Margaret Montgomery on 22 Mar 1886 in the High Street Presbyterian Church, Antrim, Co. Antrim. The fathers' names were Samuel Leith and William Montgomery.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim