Author Topic: Horsham Baptism Look Up - Daniel SAYERS  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Alice-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Horsham Baptism Look Up - Daniel SAYERS
« on: Sunday 05 October 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello I would appreciate anyone with Horsham baptism/birth records to have a look to see if you can find some information on a possible base born child Daniel SAYERS born 1810 to Jane SAYERS and putative father Daniel McGregor and possibly baptised on 4/3/1810 at Horsham.  I am trying to find out who Jane's parents may have been.  I did find a Jane SAYERS who was buried at West Chiltington on 2/3/1810 (two days before the baptism of Daniel) so maybe she was the mother who died in childbirth or maybe just a co-incidence.  I have been looking for this elusive link to my family tree for 15 years so anyone who is on the ground in Sussex and may be able to put some meat on the bones I would be eternally grateful.  Thank you.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horsham Baptism Look Up - Daniel SAYERS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat
Are you a member of the Sussex Family History Group?    They have a lot of records online for members.    It does not seem to be working today but is usually very reliable.
West Chiltington is not that close to Horsham and there seem to be Sayers families in both places.
Who does your Daniel marry?     There seem to be a couple of possibilities for him in later census records so knowing that will help us. 

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 14 05:36 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the Horsham pr's on fiche.  I can confirm Daniels baptism.
' 4 March 1810 Daniel son of Daniel McGreggor/26th ..?/ by Jane.'  Sorry, can't read the writing between the slashes but it might be his birth date, 26th Jan or Feb?

Reading the entry it doesn't suggest to me that Daniel junior was illegitimate.  I'll have a look for a marriage.  By the way, looking for children of Daniel & Jane will not give you information on Jane's parents but I'm sure we can find some possibilities,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 October 14 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Alice- Marie

Welcome to RootsChat :)

From Daniel`s Baptisum on SFHG,is states his Father Daniel was a Soldier in the 26th Regiment

I cant find a marriage on the Sussex Marriage Index.With Daniel being a Soldier ,maybe him & Jane were both from elsewhere.

Kind Regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 14 10:53 BST (UK) »
Ahh, bingo omega  ;) That's what it says on the PR...26 th Reg.  There was a barracks in Horsham at that time.  Just confirming Omega's find or non find on the marriage index..no marriage found.
So you would be looking for a Daniel McGregor not Sayers.  With a name like McGregor I would be looking at Scotland for Daniel seniors beginnings, maybe Jane's too.  Where did you get the name, Sayers, from Alice- Marie?
Your next step would be to try to find his military records they would give quite a bit of information!

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Maybe a long shot but as he is a Pensioner well worth considering;

1841 Census
South Street,
Alverstoke, Hampshire
HO107/388/7/Alverstoke
Daniel McGREGOR, 60, Pensioner, born Scotland
Grace McGregor, 60, born in County

Possible Marriage;
Daniel McGREGOR/Grace SHEEVES, 9 January 1837, Alverstoke, Hampshire
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Alice-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 October 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks all so much.  I know Daniel SAYERS was born around 1808-1810 he married Harriet Wheatley on December 10th 1832 at St Nicholas, Brighton.  I know they had at least 2 children baptised there and one in Hastings.  I can find them in the 1851 and other censuses onwards but not 1841.  Daniel always gives his birth as different places, one is Wisborough Green, one is Horsham, one is Shipley (all in the same area).  When Harriet died Daniel remarried and names Daniel on his marriage certificate as his father.  I just cannot seem to find his baptism or birth!  It's so frustrating.  A researcher in Sussex some many years ago said that the Horsham record showing Daniel McGregor as father and Jane SAYERS as unmarried mother but maybe that was a wrong interpretation and this puts me back to square one.  This is certainly a mystery....   really appreciate all your help what a fab forum this is! :)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 October 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
It sounds to me as if that baptism is a red herring.  You are tracing a Sayers line.    Am I right?    Was the father on the marriage  a Daniel Sayers?    I am not quite clear from what you put.   If it was McGregor and your Daniel was legitimate then it is odd that he went by Sayers all his life.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 October 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
It would seem that the family were in Brighton across 1841 as there are baptisms there in 1836 (John) and 1842 (Marianne).