Author Topic: SALLOW in Kessingland  (Read 4624 times)

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SALLOW in Kessingland
« on: Wednesday 08 October 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Good morning from AU.

There are 2 burials in St Edmunds Kessingland - William SALLOW 8th Dec 1822 AGED 60 and Mary 8th May 1823 aged 67.

If anyone has details of the Kessingland Burials or any MI, I would be grateful

I am hoping to confirm/deny that these 2 people are

Mary Wilson CULLINGHAM (or CUNNLINGHAM) Chr Lowestoft 1744..

She married first Samuel Smith LAAN 1765 in Lowestoft (3 children), then second William SALLOWS 1776 in the same place.

William SALLOWS - no info other than the marriage and 4 possible children. William 1777 Chr Lowestoft may have died in Beccles aged 10; Mary 1787 Lowestoft; Mary Ann 1790 Beccles. The 4th Maria 1785 Beccles has conflicting evidence, so is less possible.  After wide ranging searches, I have not found any records of the children's marriages, or deaths other than William in Beccles.

The 3 sons from the first marriage all married. 2 in Yarmouth who were fishermen and one in Hevingham and Norwich who was a shoemaker.

Mary is my direct ancestor via one of her children with Samuel Smith LAAN, and up until now, she simply disappeared. If I can confirm the marriage to William SALLOW by confirming the burials in Kessingland, I will have eliminated another loose thread from the family tapestry.

The question that arises, should the above be confirmed: The 3 LAAN sons were 4, 8 and 10 when Mary married William SALLOW. Where were they between 1776 and their marriages? There appears to be no link in any records between the LAAN boys and the SALLOW family in Kessingland

Thanks -SHIRLEY

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SALLOW in Kessingland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
Kessingland>

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SFK/Kessingland/

Hugh Wallis is indicating >

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/C131822.htm

I think you may need to contact the county archives for that one or write to the church.....
or contact Lowestoft Archaeological and Local History Society, or contact site owners of >
http://kessingland.onesuffolk.net/

best I can offer ;)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
Is it just me or do the dates not add up ???

Died 1822 age 60 gives Birth Date c 1762
Died 1823 age 67 gives Birth Date c 1756

Mary would be 9 at 1st Marriage and and 20 at the 2nd.
William would be 14 if marrying 1776.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 12:00 BST (UK) »
Do you have details of the marriage between William Sallows and Mary Laan in 1776?    Is she shown as a widow?

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
Shirley, I'd be happy to look some of this up for you at Lowestoft records office but would need to wait until half term in a couple of weeks' time.

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 October 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied.

The name variations: LAAN is the usual spelling at the time in Lowestoft PR, and CUNNINGHAM/CULLINGHAM seems to have been used interchangeably. I have ample proof in both cases that the variations as used refer to the same person. 

Trish - You are correct. For this to be my couple,  the age at burial for both Mary and William would have to be incorrect.

Annette7 - details surrounding the Mary LAAN and William SALLOWS marriage are:

The SALLOWS/LAAN marriage was in Lowestoft 24th March 1776.  The IGI transcription does NOT have any status for bride and groom, nor parents names.  ("England Marriages, 1538–1973  ," index, <i>FamilySearch</i> (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXT5-N6T : accessed 08 Oct 2014), William Sallows and Mary Laan, 24 Mar 1776; citing St. Margaret, Lowestoft, Suffolk, England, reference 151; FHL microfilm 1526139).

There are 2 separate entries for the marriage in IGI with different, but close, dates so I think the IGI info comes from a banns book, which is NOT on "England, Norfolk, Parish ...Record Office), 1510-1997, Lowestoft St Margaret"

When James LAAN was Chr in Lowestoft 18th May 1768 he was the son of Samuel and Mary LAAN. When John LAAN was Chr in Lowestoft 13th April 1770, he was the posthumous son of Samuel and Mary LAAN. I checked all original pages between the conception of James and the birth of John, and there is no burial of Samuel. I am assuming his death, based on the 'posthumous' note in 1770, as I believe this proves that Samuel was dead by 1770.

The marriage falls outside the coverage of the original Norfolk <sic> PR on the Family Search site, but the mother's name is Cunningham on Mary SALLOWS' Chr in 1787. I believes this indicates that the Mary nee CULLINGHAM who married Samuel LAAN could well have been the Mary LAAN who married William SALLOWS. The names and the dates fit.

Annes - as you can see from above, the ages at death of the couple buried in Kessingland are in question. I will be grateful for anything you can tell me from the Suffolk record office, but as this is only me trying to cover off a negative to eliminate them, please give this a LOW priority.

Thanks again for this great Suffolk list - Shirley

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley.

Some of this you already know but I'll include everything I noted today.

Taken from transcript of Lowestoft St Margarets

Samuel Laune OTP SM
Mary Cullingham of the same SW
Married by banns 17th November 1765
Both signed X
In presence of Peter Pennington (sexton) and Susanna Pennington

Baptisms:
Samuel s/o Samuel and Mary Laan 14th May 1766
James s/o Samuel and Mary Laan 19th May 1768
John posthumous s/o Samuel and Mary Laan 13th April 1770

There is a burial at St Margarets of a Samuel Lockart alias Laan on 14th June 1774
It states he died of Smallpox.
(I realise this is too late for Mary to be a widow in 1770)

William Sallows SM
Mary Laan widow BOTP
Married by banns 2nd April 1776
Both signed
In presence of John Woods and Wm Bollchen

William s/o William and Mary Sallows 28th February 1777
Mary d/o William and Mary Sallows 13th Dec 1787 (mn Cunningham) Bn 8th Dec 1787

The William Sallows buried in Beccles on 26th November 1788 is the s/o William and Amy Sallows (late Haken) aged 10 so not the William above.  Within the same register (Beccles St Michaels) there were no baptisms for a Mary Ann 1790 or a Maria 1785 with the surname Sallows.

Taken from transcript of the Kessingland parish register

William s/o William and Mary Sallows late Lane born 1 Feb bap 8 Feb 1789
Martha d/o William and Mary Sallows late Lane born 11 June bap 17 June 1792
James s/o William and Mary Sallows late Lane bn 16 Oct bap 19 Oct 1794
John s/o  William and Mary Sallows late Lane born 19 April bap 23rd April 1797

An Elizabeth Larn married a James Boon at Kessingland 9th April 1761 in presence of John  Flower and John Robson

This Kessingland transcript covered 1700-1799 and there were no other Sallows/Larn (Lane) marriages

The burials at Kessingland were exactly as you wrote at the top of the page with no other information given.

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 October 14 03:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annes, you have given me far more help that I ever hoped for.

You said - ............  Within the same register (Beccles St Michaels) there were no baptisms for a Mary Ann 1790 or a Maria 1785 with the surname Sallows.

I reply - The Chr I have for Mary Ann 2nd April 1790 was the Non Conformist Chapel in Beccles.

Now I would dearly love some advice.

The 4 Kessingland Chr have the mother named as 'late LANE'. I am comfortable that the name LAAR/LARN was sometimes written as LANE.

Could you, or other kind and knowledgeable reader of this request, give an opinion of what 'late' means. How often would a woman's previous married name be used in Chr records in place of her birth family name?

I am going to do more work by trying to find any other William SALLOW Mary LANE marriage in the area. This is to eliminate one or other set of Christenings, as I think they can't both be correct. At least I can't see a couple having children all Chr in the parish Church, except for 1 in the middle. If the 'conversion' was only for a short time, then they would surely have got Mary Chr again in the Parish Church. Again I would love to hear what others have found with Chr in the Independent Chapel in Beccles.

I am weighing up the Chr in the Independent Chapel in Beccles again the 4 Kessingland Chr

Thanks  SHIRLEY

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 October 14 03:38 BST (UK) »
One extra piece of data.

A William and Mary SALLOW are buried in Kessingland.

Mary 8th May 1823 aged 67, giving her a YOB of 1756. This is too young for her to be the same Mary who married Samuel LAAN in 1765 and then William SALLOWS.

Of course I have no proof that this couple are the parents of the 4 children Chr in Kessingland yet

SHIRLEY